What do we need for Reloading?

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Going to sell off some OTHER equipment we have and re-invest. The list below is some of the equipment we already have.
What can be added?
If you were starting off and wanted to reload custom match ammo - What else would you need? Just equipment to assist in reloading and developing loads. Trying to give new reloaders an idea of what they would/should need.

Reloading Manuals or Computer Program
Safety/Eye Glasses/Gloves
Rock Chuckers
Real Avid Vise
Hornady Modified Cases & Gauge
Match Dies with Micrometers and Bushings
Comparator Gauges
Digital & Analog Micrometers Calipers
NECO CONCENTRICITY
Franklin SS Pin Wet Tumbler
Franklin Primer Remover
Henderson 3 Way Power Trimmer
K&M Tools With Neck Turning, Flash hole trimmer, Primer Pocket Uniformer
CPS
AMP Annealer
V-4 Powder Scale
Beam Scale to verify Digital Scale
Area 419 Powder Funnels
Custom Aluminum Loading Blocks by Bob Pastor
Kestrel 5700 Elite w/AB Link
LabRadar
Garmin XERO
Leica RFB 2000
Vortex RFB 5000
Shot Marker

Last edited:
I load match ammo every week but I don't
have most of the stuff on your list. I don't see why you'd need two range finders and two chronographs but I think the Garmin is about to corner the market. I'm already seeing used labradars for sale cheap.

I don't see expander mandrels on your list. I use 21st Century. You don't need an expensive concentricity gauge, once you get your process down, you'll rarely use it. If you use Short Action Customs bushings in your dies, you are guaranteed the lowest runout possible. Oh and Don't forget that your biggest expense by far is going to be bullets, powder, primers, and brass. Save some money for those.

If you have a summit press I would be interested.
I should clarify. "Selling off other Equipment" not what is listed.
I load match ammo every week but I don't
have most of the stuff on your list. I don't see why you'd need two range finders and two chronographs but I think the Garmin is about to corner the market. I'm already seeing used labradars for sale cheap.

I don't see expander mandrels on your list. I use 21st Century. You don't need an expensive concentricity gauge, once you get your process down, you'll rarely use it. If you use Short Action Customs bushings in your dies, you are guaranteed the lowest runout possible. Oh and Don't forget that your biggest expense by far is going to be bullets, powder, primers, and brass. Save some money for those.
Having two of everything is better than one. Remember that Three is TWO and TWO is ONE and ONE is NONE.
Selling the Leica RFB 2000 tomorrow, Going to see how the LabRadar and Garmin Compare. Have all the mandrels. Bullets. primers. powder, brass is another subject. Been loading for over 55 years. just want to see any new reloading tools out there.
Thanks a million.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with having a backup or two Murphy is a SOB. I've been loading a long time too, but I was only 10 when you started. Back then I watched my Boy Scout troop
leader reload on an old C-press.
Its been out a few years but Area 419 has that Super trick Zero press. On the other hand I see some top f-class shooters using Dillon 750 automated progressive presses for brass prep and the new AMP arbor press and Wilson bullet seating dies.
The super Trickler has been out awhile, no better than the V4 you already have, but it does have a weight sorting feature if you weight sort bullets or brass it makes it easy. I bought one …it's cool but requires tech-no nerds to make it run at top speed and it tends to sprinkle powder onto the floor. I just want to throw powder without over throws. Wish I hadn't sold my V3.
So what are you selling off and what do you want for it? you've got some Cadillac equipment I'm sure several of us would take it off your hands.

What do you need to make match quality ammo? Bare bones? Imho the following
Single stage press
Die set, preferably with a micrometer seater
Scale
Powder thrower, manual
Powder trickler, manual
Calipers
Hornady bullet comparitor tool
Quality brass
Quality bullets
Reloading manual
Funnel
Priming tool
Case trimmer
Reloading tray
Ammo boxes
Brass tumbler

Add a Go-Gauge by Forster. I recall its headspace is accurate to 0.00015". This can be used to turn your headspace relative measurements into absolute measurements. Ie, now compare to SAAMI specs or find that your aluminum headspace comparator chamfer is wearing

I try to keep two full length sizing and depriming dies on hand for match load cartridgess. Amazing how that specific die will get cases stuck, decap pins broke, etc. right before a match.

I try to keep two full length sizing and depriming dies on hand for match load cartridgess. Amazing how that specific die will get cases stuck, decap pins broke, etc. right before a match.
Go to a decapping die for primer removal. It saves on decapping pin and other part in your dies. It doesn't change anything except the primer is removed. One for large primers and one for small rifle primers. All it does is decap primers.

If the list is for the new folks just getting started, I'd say ditch all the high dollar stuff, and the doubles too. If I was thinking of getting into this game and read that list, I'd probably throw in the towel and take up golf- or shoot a Creedmore and factory ammo.
In my opinion, IId rather buy decent used middle-of-the-road equipment than shiny new high dollar stuff. Use the money saved to buy doubles or triples of components, and of course,there are always those new to me rifles that want to follow me home!
Just my thoughts, Len, but I don't mean to criticize.

Go to a decapping die for primer removal. It saves on decapping pin and other part in your dies. It doesn't change anything except the primer is removed. One for large primers and one for small rifle primers. All it does is decap primers.
Yes, I understand but another step. I am fine with old school FL sizing/depriming in one step. There are times when I am shooting multiple 2 day (200+) and one day (100+) matches in a month so I need to balance efficiency. I have extra decap pins at the press now. Lapua brass has extra small flash holes (in the BR family brass) so my emergency Lee universal decapper won't work.

Yes, I understand but another step. I am fine with old school FL sizing/depriming in one step. There are times when I am shooting multiple 2 day (200+) and one day (100+) matches in a month so I need to balance efficiency. I have extra decap pins at the press now. Lapua brass has extra small flash holes (in the BR family brass) so my emergency Lee universal decapper won't work.
I believe you can get for small flash holes too. As far as old school goes, been reloading from 1962. I don't shoot match. So I am in a different leage.

Recent Posts