what do i need to start reloading

DSMITH1651

I have never done it and I know next to nothing about it I would be reloading for my 7mm rem mag.
Thanks
Duane

Materials for making your rounds:
1) Bullets
2) Brass
3) Powder
4) Lg Rifle Mag Primers

Equipment:
1) Press
2) Dies w/Shellholder
3) Loading block
4) Powder scale
5) Dial Caliper
6) Case Lube (Imperial wax)
7) One good reloading manual (Do's and don'ts of reloading)
8) Powder funnel

Other things you will eventually need/want:
1) Case trimmer
2) Powder meter

Probably a few things I missed, but that should get you started. I would buy used at first, just to make sure it is something you are going to stick with. Good Luck.

I would find someone in your area that you know that reloads and pick their brain. I have found it to be a very good resource and has kept me from making stupid rookie mistakes. Some of these mistakes can prove fatal.
I also started reloading for 7 mag a few years ago and have progressed into other calibers. If you are seriously going to start, stick to one caliber and get the steps firmly in grasp before moving to others.
I would also stick with ONE reloading manual of either the powder or bullet manufacturer you have chosen to use. It may be difficult to find some powders right now due to high demand and low inventories. Be patient.
For powders I use H1000, RL22 and have tried IMR4831. My gun likes the RL22 the best with mid weight bullets. Every gun will be different and may or may not like a particular load. Depending on availability you might look at Retumbo, H4350, RL25. The manufacturers post load data on their websites and give some good starting points. Be careful on using their max data, it may not be safe in your gun.

For now I would be reloading for the 7 mm rem mag only, and using nosler accubonds. The main reason is I am having a hard time finding good ammo for it. Is noslers reloading manual a good one.

A good starter kit the only thing missing is your dies

HORNADY LOCK-N-LOAD CLASSIC RELOADING KIT | Sinclair Intl

there are many other starter kits but, I think that for the money this would be the best

I also load for 7RM, My 7rm likes IMR3031 and IMR7828 for 140 and 150 grn for the 160 and 175 RL22 is king. If you cannot get mag primers std will do But, really for using a case capacity like the big belted and the ultra mags mag primers are the best

I agree with the posts above. I'll also add: Do a ton of reading, look into how people are doing their load development (safely), and make sure to buy some tools to measure: headspace, distance to lands of your rifle, and length of loaded round to ogive. These are easy to learn to do and IMO are critical to loading accurately and safely.

Good luck, enjoy your new hobby. It's fun and interesting as hell!

If I was gonna name one tool outside of the actual productive parts such as presses and suc, it is the hornady OAL guage. To date the best thing i bought and makes things much simpler as far as seating depths go

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts