Is this brass safe to reload???

These are new brass chambered just now, the dents are occurring when the round is chambered. It's definitely the rifle and not the brass. It looks a like the right side feed ramp has a wear mark?

Well it must be denting them on the way out too because Shep is completely correct that the dent made going in would not be there after being fired. The pressure from shooting would have completely removed the dent from the loading activity. That and the dent on the fired shells looks to be quite a bit bigger than the ones on the chambered and unfired rounds. At least you know where the damage is coming from now.

My opinion is that they're safe to reload if you're absolutely desperate for a few cases and don't mind the danger of a possible failure. o_O

Yes. When I'm at the range, my 6.5Creedmoor AR, brass does this when I'm not using the brass catcher on concrete. Clean, inspect, put the really suspect cases to the side, reload the rest, did this last week.

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass out of a Dessert Tech MDR (semiauto). The location of the damage has me concerned. I'm not looking for precision loads. Just looking to load some practice rounds, 200 yards max, but I don't want risk catastrophic case failure. Any thoughts? Thanks!
View attachment 192638

I don't know how many pieces of brass you have like that, but for $26 you can get 50 brand new, unscrewed up starline brass from Midway. You may even find it cheaper elsewhere. Starline #4850-6.5 Creedmoore brass. If it were me, I'd save the headaches and know for sure that it will work and not have an Ooooopps! It may be just fine, but to put junk in a rifle that costs way more then 26 bucks....well you choose.

MDRs are tough on brass. If you haven't already done so, try dialing down the gas setting. As for the brass, other than the pokes at CM, if it can be sized and will chamber, it should be fine as long as you're not pushing the pressure limits already.
I think I already have it on the next to lowest setting. I'll try knocking it down another notch. Thanks!

Looks like feed ramp marks going into the chamber on loading
I think you could be correct. Either that or the forward ejecting port is getting it on ejection. Need to eject a few rounds after they have chambered to see if the damage is from going into the chamber or out of the ejection port. Thanks!

The other thing which might be causing this is the feeding out of the magazine might not be letting the new cartridges line up well enough before chambering. Do all of your magazines cause the same brass damage?

The other thing which might be causing this is the feeding out of the magazine might not be letting the new cartridges line up well enough before chambering. Do all of your magazines cause the same brass damage?
Only used one pmag so not sure. I think it's the ejection port. It's an odd, but violent process to get brass out of an MDR. 😬

You're not kidding. My 91 put a big horizontal crease half way up. Still reloaded fine, even without buying the HK accessory brass buffer.
Don't jump on me if I'm wrong but I think they had a fluted chamber. I know that they would Chuck the brass almost as far as the bullet, just a different direction.

Using subpar brass will give you subpar results, trash it and buy some decent brass, and I don't mean Hornady
Yeah Hornady brass is subpar right out of the box. Id recommend Alpha, Norma or Peterson brass. However, this subpar NEW Hornady brass I bought in the past, had shoulder dents similar to those in the photo and shot ok from my bolt gun.
to the OP there are some great videos on YouTube of where that line in the brass is, Pardon the pun, of junk brass vs reuse brass. Good luck 😉

If that's the way they look coming out of the rifle, something is going on. If thay are coming out of your resizing die, clean die. and watch the amount of lube you are using on the case. I would use the brass again, but reduce the powder load by a few grains, and it will fire form back. I have to full size my cases from 300 Win Mag case to my 308 Nor. Mag. trim the case for length and fire form to my rifle. There is some denting at that time. That fire form out after the first time they are shot. never had a problems after that. I have done 100's. I have done sever 100 30/06 and 270 cases to 25/06. Having to load for three different rifles in 25/06, and their chambers are all different. That way I know what case goes to which rifle.

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass out of a Dessert Tech MDR (semiauto). The location of the damage has me concerned. I'm not looking for precision loads. Just looking to load some practice rounds, 200 yards max, but I don't want risk catastrophic case failure. Any thoughts? Thanks!
View attachment 192638
I've got 2 HK 91's and they flute the brass (they do this to make a more positive extraction). I just full length resize and trim. They work perfect.
1589202052529.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.