Is this brass safe to reload???

DocGlenn

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass out of a Dessert Tech MDR (semiauto). The location of the damage has me concerned. I'm not looking for precision loads. Just looking to load some practice rounds, 200 yards max, but I don't want risk catastrophic case failure. Any thoughts? Thanks!
2598FBD3-AD68-48F4-8561-2CD464CA70CC.jpeg

The crease in the shoulder may give you hard chambering if your FL die doesn't iron out most of it.
My BAR did something similar in 300WM, not quite as bad, and my BAR in 338WM never marked a case at all.

Cheers.

If you can get them in a die then into the chamber with no difficulty they will " fire form" back to where they're supposed to be. Every now and again I'll get a line sent because of my carelessness and it always pushes back out nicely

They ejected looking like that. They FL sized w/o any issues. I'll load them up and shoot them out of a bolt rifle to get them back in shape. Thanks for the help!

No need to go through the extra step of a bolt gun. That is a pretty mild dent.

To look at dinged up brass, look up what an HK91/PTR91 does to brass. I had one and it would beat the snot out of brass. When that happened I would FL size it, load, and shoot, and it smoothed the brass right out.

Looks like the brass has been gouged out & moved towards the case mouth? This will weaken/thin brass in that area.
But if it vents, no harm will be done.

I would look for the cause & change something. But thats just my 2 cents.
Screenshot_20200509-101720.jpg

Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass out of a Dessert Tech MDR (semiauto). The location of the damage has me concerned. I'm not looking for precision loads. Just looking to load some practice rounds, 200 yards max, but I don't want risk catastrophic case failure. Any thoughts? Thanks!
View attachment 192638

back off A couple 3 grains and shoot. They will resize. I would not shoot at full load because of pressure. This is what I've done just to save the brass.

on a note: When this has happened to me is because I've had to much lube on the case while trying to resize. Little goes a long way.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.