The 7SAUM

I've got a 7wsm on a sako 75 SM action. Magazine fed 162 ELDm over 65.1 grains rl23 gives me 3190 FPS with a 26" krieger 1:8.5 and an extreme spread of 14 FPS. RL26 was faster but Had an ES in the 40s.

I've killed dozens of white tails with this rifle from 40 yards to just shy of 1000. In the coming months I will kill dozens more with it. it is by far my favorite short action LR caliber. On steel I've taken this round to a 1600 yards(as far as I can go when crops are planted). The RSAUM is a little brother to the WSM. I really like the added case capacity of the WSM if running a medium size action. On atrue short w/o an extended box I think the 7 SAUM is perfect.

I have quite a few rifles and the 7 saum is up there with being all time favorite. Easy to load for. Stays in tune well. Mine is built of Defiance XM and is 3.150 coal. Shoots 184's with H1000 very accurate at 2900 with 24" barrel. 1" groups at 300 are common.

Attachments

• F43055CC-2935-4822-AE1C-911A07960170.jpeg
    F43055CC-2935-4822-AE1C-911A07960170.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 105
I'm currently building 2 1000 yard rifles for the 7 saum. It's a great balanced round. Seems like the Goldilocks of the 7mm rounds to me. I just built a 6.5 saum for my new hunting rifle. The adg brass seems real nice so far. Definitely last longer than the Norma saum brass.
Shep

I've got a Rem 700 TI in 7 saum I've never shot.

I do have a 7 saum variant that I won't name so no one gets their feelers hurt. I've used it a lot in the past. But not as much lately. I'm just not much of a 7mm fan. It's possibly my most accurate rifle also. I should try the 180/184 Berger in it. I used 180 ELD M's mostly but it seemed like performance on game was erratic.

Sad that Remington designed such a great cartridge and can't capitalize on it.

Remington could have had a Creedmoor competition but lost it. Like so many other opportunities Remington lost
Yeah. They have lost in almost every area. I wanted the trigger recall done for my 700, and they said they would keep the rifle for about a year before returning it. Last Remington product I will ever have.

This thread is to start a debate. The present state of affairs in our country have created a opportunity for me. I've been reloading all day. When I got to this one the thoughts flooded back in.
Keep it clean. Keep it based on knowledge and not on hype.

One of my favorite cartridges to shoot and hunt with is the 7SAUM ! Mine is from a Remington 700 short action with a Wyatts mag. Mine pushes a 180 grain Berger Hybrid at 3060 fps from a 26inch Broughton barrel.
Case over all is 2.97. ADG brass and RL26 at 61.5 grains. It is completely mag fed with NO feed or extraction issues. Zero! None! Nill!
It has to be one of the most underrated and misunderstood cartridges in modern times.
Yea Remington missed a giant opportunity with this one!

Give me your inputs.
All of it!
Go!!!!!
I have one it's great dont know why Remington stopped making it just wish norma would produce more brass great deer and elk gun

When I did my 6.5 SAUM, I ordered 200 cases of 7 SAUM brass. I only processed half of them and like the 168 grian 7mm bullets from a 7mm I used to have. I'm pretty much sold on the 7 SAUM with 168's or even 180s at this point. Just need to find some funds and time to get a barrel and reamer.

my wife has one shoots the 180 vld little over 2900 easy peasy!! have seen a dozen others that are right there also 26" barrels no muss no fuss great brass will run though a short action very nicely.. really no debate here for me as i like simple and straight forward not a 360 deg turn to come up with the same mouse trap painted a different color!!

FYI have seen over 2900 in 22" W/180 elite hunters

Last edited:
I wanted and still want a 7 SAUM.....but brass availability kinda got me to not build one at the time, I ended up building a full custom 6.5prc.....which I absolutely love btw! I think the 7 SAUM is the next best thing to a 7RM but in a nice small package.

Remington is absolutely stupid for making excellent cartridges and letting them die!! How can a company do that and still be what it is today with such stupidity!?!?

Couple questions for guys with the 7saum......what has been the average barrel life of it? How is the brass availability of it and who makes brass now for it?

Last edited:
This thread is to start a debate. The present state of affairs in our country have created a opportunity for me. I've been reloading all day. When I got to this one the thoughts flooded back in.
Keep it clean. Keep it based on knowledge and not on hype.

One of my favorite cartridges to shoot and hunt with is the 7SAUM ! Mine is from a Remington 700 short action with a Wyatts mag. Mine pushes a 180 grain Berger Hybrid at 3060 fps from a 26inch Broughton barrel.
Case over all is 2.97. ADG brass and RL26 at 61.5 grains. It is completely mag fed with NO feed or extraction issues. Zero! None! Nill!
It has to be one of the most underrated and misunderstood cartridges in modern times.
Yea Remington missed a giant opportunity with this one!

Give me your inputs.
All of it!
Go!!!!!
I hunt and reload a 300SAUM out of a Rem 700 and it's a great round as well. All I can go is to 509 yds which is my long range in S. Florida

Attachments

• 20191106_162526.jpg
    20191106_162526.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 88
Couple questions for guys with the 7saum......what has been the average barrel life of it? How is the brass availability of it and who makes brass now for it?

I'm into my barrel 900 rounds and only 2 thou erosion so far on the throat.
ADG brass has been great for me. I have 500 cases that I bought. It'll last for many barrels to come. I'm on the 7th loading on the first 100 cases I got and they still hold primers tight. I anneal for every loading too.

Yeah. They have lost in almost every area. I wanted the trigger recall done for my 700, and they said they would keep the rifle for about a year before returning it. Last Remington product I will ever have.
I wouldn't wait a year for another crappy Remington trigger aftermarket are so much better and would not take that long

I'm into my barrel 900 rounds and only 2 thou erosion so far on the throat.
ADG brass has been great for me. I have 500 cases that I bought. It'll last for many barrels to come. I'm on the 7th loading on the first 100 cases I got and they still hold primers tight. I anneal for every loading too.
Great, thanks.....I'm running Gunwerks brass in my PRC, supposedly Gunwerks brass is ADG made and I love it.....I learned to get quality brass right off the get go if you want precision reloads to go past 600yrds.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.