is the 7PRC killing the 7saum?

cooperjd

All of a sudden I'm seeing 7saums popping up for sale. Seems like more than usual, here and other sites. Is everyone going to jump on the 7PRC and abandon the saum? With a new offering components should be much more available in the coming years I would think.

Maybe the 7 saum is just that popular. I have 5 of them. Hard to beat the 7 saum. Probably my favorite and most efficient cartridge. Y'all can have the new fad of the prc. I push 180's close to 3,000 in all but one. Really is there any gain in the new kid on the block. I doubt it.
I am having Fierce Reaper being built now with a 20in barrel. What powder are you using? My first 7saum but I run 7mm WSM's with H1000.

I am having Fierce Reaper being built now with a 20in barrel. What powder are you using? My first 7saum but I run 7mm WSM's with H1000.
N560 and N565 are the two main powders I use. Short barrels like your 20" I would use N560. But you not gonna get close to 3000

Last edited:
With the proper barrel length, it's not beyond reason to get a 180 in the 3k realm in a 7 saum, 7 wsm, 7 max, 7 ss, 7 Sherman, .280 ai, 7 LRM, 7 rem mag.....pretty much any 7mm above a .284 will do it or really close, so I am somewhat confused as well. I have even heard of some .284's getting there with long barrels. It's just a new design for old performance, which is cool too I guess. It will serve some purpose, I personally just don't really see it.

However, the difference is there is quality brass for the others, the prc has yet to get there. I'm sure it will come, but to my knowledge, hornady is currently your choice unless you want to sell your child for rcc brass, which I personally have no experience with (either of those two things....). It might be amazing, I don't know.

Short answer to the op's question is, no.

Last edited:
I just had built a 284 Win AI. (40* shoulder and less taper) in a Tikka action. I'm hoping to get in the 2900 range with a 26" barrel. Truth be told if this had been available at the time that I started I would have saved my self some time and money and gone with a 7 PRC. Only benefits I have is a few less grains of powder and I get to be different.

The biggest issue I see with a 7 PRC is they made a (short) long action cartridge that wont accomplish anything new except Hornady muscle will help them. The SAUM is not going anywhere, its a good round!
My MEGA will outperform all of them in a 3.2" Medium action and has head stamped ADG brass. 195 Bergers will run 3000-3100 depending on the powder choice and my personal load is a 175 EH at 3180' with great brass life!

The biggest issue I see with a 7 PRC is they made a (short) long action cartridge that wont accomplish anything new except Hornady muscle will help them. The SAUM is not going anywhere, its a good round!
My MEGA will outperform all of them in a 3.2" Medium action and has head stamped ADG brass. 195 Bergers will run 3000-3100 depending on the powder choice and my personal load is a 175 EH at 3180' with great brass life!
I didn't even think about doing a sherman. DOH

It's not that hard to get a 180gr Berger to 3,000 ft/sec in my 7WSM using RETUMBO in a 25" Broughton. I don't know what's so exciting about a 7PRC that will do the same thing and probably require more powder to get there.
Just one more example of Hornady being late to the party but using their muscle to take money away from the wildcat loaders. Richard Sherman has already done this. I would much rather keep giving Richard my money instead of Steve Hornady.

Last edited:
All of a sudden I'm seeing 7saums popping up for sale. Seems like more than usual, here and other sites. Is everyone going to jump on the 7PRC and abandon the saum? With a new offering components should be much more available in the coming years I would think.
I think many people on this site would just change barrels.

I presume 99.9% of 7SAUM shooters are reloaders. The reloaders might dabble with the 7PRC will be a factory option in long action to get what a lot of people want from the 7 SAUM/WSM in factory options but still won't get it in a short action.

Still makes me laugh every time a reloader starts commenting on this site. It's as if reloading is the only way anybody does anything.

For many, due to a wide array of reasons, purchasing loaded ammo, whether from factory options or small quantity outfits, is the only option.

I've also seen where the 7PRC was designed to meet the shooting competition velocity requirements and to not be considered "overbore".