Will the 7prc outrun the 7wsm?

So essentially same case capacity as a 7PRC maybe 1-2gr more. So when the OP asked about the 7PRC it would be easy to say it will run within 25-50fps of the 7 MEGA.
I don't know that? I just posted what I do know and one can interpolate from there. Its Hornady brass also.
Someone posted what the saum will do so the more info, the more to compare to.

This is still the internet isn't it?

"My 7mm-08 will push a 195 EOL at 3600fps out of my 18" barrel with RL TWEMPTY SIX... nO pReSsHuRe! No one needs these new fangled cartridges..."

XpnmGR0.gif

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

the WSM and the PRC are both in the 80-83gr capacity range you can even throw the 7RM in there. I don't believe you will see much more than 50-60fps difference between them.
honestly loading technique, barrel quality, type of brass all can show that much difference in the same cartridge. I wouldn't be buying one or the other for speed. now if factory ammo or magazine limitations for reloading are a concern then the PRC will be a better option

Good words!

One thing to consider, it aint tough to get a round to do whatever speed one fancy, just watch for a while and you'll see some pretty freaking crazy speeds for all kinds of rounds. Naturally with "no pressure"

Pick one and get to it!

Nope ! 7 Whizzum holds a But more Powder so with every thing being equal the 7 WSM will prevail !

I think the 7 PRC is a better designed cartridge thou and would have it over the 7 WSM - JMHO

I'm curious to know what about the 7 PRC is of a better design. The 7WSM is a shorter, wider case which is generally the direction for more consistent combustion. It can be chambered in a shorter action which would be inherently stiffer. They both have similar capacity and would likely produce similar velocities.
My 7wsm is pushing a Berger 180 VLD at 2986. 24 inch Hart barrel.

My 25" Bartlein (7WSM) gets just over 3,000 with a 180gr but I normally hunt with 160-168gr bullets. Lately, I've been shooting the 143 Hammer bullets at 3,300 fts. The Hammers have worked very well for me in the field. However, I don't normally shoot biggame animals at over 500yds. I just don't have the shot opportunities where I hunt. My longrange shooting (up to 1,000yd) has been at groundhogs and I don't need a 7mm for that.

Either way - I'm having a 7PRC built just because I am hopelessly addicted to tinkering with new cartridges/gadgets. I also expect there to be plenty of high quality brass available for the PRC, which isn't true of the orphaned 7WSM.

I'm curious to know what about the 7 PRC is of a better design. The 7WSM is a shorter, wider case which is generally the direction for more consistent combustion. It can be chambered in a shorter action which would be inherently stiffer. They both have similar capacity and would likely produce similar velocities.

My 25" Bartlein (7WSM) gets just over 3,000 with a 180gr but I normally hunt with 160-168gr bullets. Lately, I've been shooting the 143 Hammer bullets at 3,300 fts. The Hammers have worked very well for me in the field. However, I don't normally shoot biggame animals at over 500yds. I just don't have the shot opportunities where I hunt. My longrange shooting (up to 1,000yd) has been at groundhogs and I don't need a 7mm for that.

Either way - I'm having a 7PRC built just because I am hopelessly addicted to tinkering with new cartridges/gadgets. I also expect there to be plenty of high quality brass available for the PRC, which isn't true of the orphaned 7WSM.
The biggest design flaw in the WSM is the extremely short neck. In order to get the capacity up for good velocity in what was supposed to be a short action, there was no room for any neck. This limits loading potential with a lot of bullets and the short neck caused faster throat erosion also. Thats why people are saying the PRC is a better design, and overall it is, but is quite a bit longer which pushes it out of even a mid action.
Both have shortfalls and is why I created the MEGA. When the PRC gets some good brass, and it will, it will be a pretty good long action round.

The biggest design flaw in the WSM is the extremely short neck. In order to get the capacity up for good velocity in what was supposed to be a short action, there was no room for any neck. This limits loading potential with a lot of bullets and the short neck caused faster throat erosion also. Thats why people are saying the PRC is a better design, and overall it is, but is quite a bit longer which pushes it out of even a mid action.
Both have shortfalls and is why I created the MEGA. When the PRC gets some good brass, and it will, it will be a pretty good long action round.

I am under the impression that various neck angles lead to increased or decreased throat erosion, rather than neck length. I can see the advantage of longer necks to allow bullets to be loaded out farther, but I never noticed that to be an issue in my WSM. In a rifle that is set up specifically to allow a certain bullet to seat in a way that there is no interference with the donut (if there is one), I guess the longer neck has an advantage.

Who knows, when my 7PRC is complete, I'll be in a position to make more direct comparisons. My guess is that, as others have stated, that the PRC may be a bigger step forward for those who shoot factory ammo than it is for handloaders shooting custom rifles.

I am under the impression that various neck angles lead to increased or decreased throat erosion, rather than neck length. I can see the advantage of longer necks to allow bullets to be loaded out farther, but I never noticed that to be an issue in my WSM. In a rifle that is set up specifically to allow a certain bullet to seat in a way that there is no interference with the donut (if there is one), I guess the longer neck has an advantage.

Who knows, when my 7PRC is complete, I'll be in a position to make more direct comparisons. My guess is that, as others have stated, that the PRC may be a bigger step forward for those who shoot factory ammo than it is for handloaders shooting custom rifles.
Sharper shoulder and longer neck both help!