Hornady announced the 7mm A-tip, does that mean the 7PRC will be at SHOT?

Back to the 190gr A-tip. Does anyone have any real world experience with them? Any BC's they can report?

The 180 eld-m g7 is realistically around .360. That's what I and lots of others have come up with. The 190 wouldnt suprise me if it landed more around .380-.400. Will be interesting to find out

I'd be interested to see how that data compares. Hornady does list some more extended information on this page. The lower speed, slower twist tracks pretty close with what you quoted. I don't know how they decided on the main page published data.

Steve of Hammer bullets mentioned that they are seeing similar things with twist sensitivity and higher BC with their bullets spinning faster twists.

BULLETMach 2.25 (2512 fps* and above)Mach 2.0 (2232 fps*)Mach 1.75 (1953 fps*)
7mm 180 gr. ELD Match
1 in 8.75" Twist
0.777 G1 0.391 G70.748 G1 0.376 G70.731 G1 0.368 G7
7mm 180 gr. ELD Match
1 in 7.5" Twist
0.816 G1 0.411 G70.812 G1 0.408 G70.782 G1 0.394 G7

How many yards does Hornady base their B.C. on? I thought it was 800yds. I believe that Berger's is based on 1000yds.

How many yards does Hornady base their B.C. on? I thought it was 800yds. I believe that Berger's is based on 1000yds.
You can't really base BC on yardage, needs to be velocity based. Hornady does list several different BC's for different velocities.

You can't really base BC on yardage, needs to be velocity based. Hornady does list several different BC's for different velocities.
I guess I was thinking about the velocity average over a certain distance that would figure in. I understand what you are saying though. Velocity average at a distance of say 200yds would be far greater than that of 1000yds. I know that figuring b.c. for 200 yards really doesn't have much practical use for what we are talking about, it was just an example.

Last edited:
I guess I was thinking about the velocity average over a certain distance that would figure in. I understand what you are saying though. Velocity average at a distance of say 200yds would be far greater than that of 1000yds. I know that figuring b.c. for 200 yards really doesn't have much practical use for what we are talking about, it was just an example.
The reason yardage is unimportant and velocity is uses if the velocity is a factor of calculating BC and yardage is only a factor of the cartridge not the bullet.

Example: a 7Dasher will not have the same velocity at 200 yards a 7/50BMG. A 7saum loaded with trailboss will have a different BC than a 7saum loaded with Unicorn Dust. Therefore cartridge or yardage are irrelevant and velocity is the important factor to keep in mind.

The reason yardage is unimportant and velocity is uses if the velocity is a factor of calculating BC and yardage is only a factor of the cartridge not the bullet.

Example: a 7Dasher will not have the same velocity at 200 yards a 7/50BMG. A 7saum loaded with trailboss will have a different BC than a 7saum loaded with Unicorn Dust. Therefore cartridge or yardage are irrelevant and velocity is the important factor to keep in mind.
Correct, I agree velocity is the most important factor. Velocity will be inversly proportial to yardage as the bullet travels down range.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts