Better Barrel Life...what does that even mean?

jasonco

Morning all, I got an itch that's needs to be scratched on something 'round here: "Better barrel life", what does that even mean?!
Barrels are as replaceable as the components that are used in them. I don't baby or abuse my barrels but, I do keep my load development to minimum (I make a binder for each barrel/rifle) and when I find 1, 2 maybe 3, bullets that give, what I'm looking for, the research is done, let's start shooting for real! Shoot til it doesn't shoot to your set standards, for what it was intended, anymore and replace it, ain't no big deal.
I mean this IS Long Range Hunting after all, NOT Short Range Hunting.

How often do you shoot long range for practice? I shoot 2800-3500 rounds a year. Luckily, I spread it out over a lot of different rifles.

But you are right, a barrel is a consumable. You have to pay to play.

Better barrel life for me is using a 30 BR for more trigger time so my 257 Weatherby will be useful for coues wt hunting for more than a few years. At least 6000 rounds vs 900. I shoot other rifles too, but not as many as you do Lance!

"Better barrel life" is relative to local expectations. Too broad for real meaning.
"Accurate barrel life" as a standard, meaning point of step change, is still relative to load & use, but it is at least real.

When we assume common expectations, we can generalize with statements such as "more powder for a given cal reduces barrel life".

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.