Hornady announced the 7mm A-tip, does that mean the 7PRC will be at SHOT?

Haven't heard anything. You hoping for a 7 based on the 300? Or a shorty based on the 6.5?

I am interested in seeing the BC of the 190 though!

Please say yes!
I haven't found any info on the bullet. There is no BC or bullet dimensions given on their site, just that there is a 166 gr and a 190 gr. Anyone have any insight?

a-tip-match
I traded some emails with Hornady a few months ago. I was asking about what they will do with the .375R case. I told them it's a great platform for a 7 STW alternative, yet another chance to try for an 8mm to take foot hold in America (it would match the 8 Rem Mag), and if headspace could be worked out, a new .458.

I do believe the 7 isn't far away, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's not another necked down RCM.

Haven't heard anything. You hoping for a 7 based on the 300? Or a shorty based on the 6.5?
My interest is in th 7 based on the 300 prc. Hornady get is right in their cartridge development. Ideally, we pick a bullet that has the characteristics we need and then build a gun around that bullet- choosing the components but also the chamber dimensions to suit the bullet we are building around. Hornady designers have designed bullets with superior flight characteristics, then designed a SAMMI cartridge around that bullet. The end product is the Creedmoor family and the PRCs.
When the 7 PRC is released it will put out-perform the Nosler with less powder and pressure in a SAMMI cartridge that was designed around the 190 A-tip.

I am interested in seeing the BC of the 190 though!
7 based on the 300

Hornady head of communications on Facebook said from the initial a tip release they were planning on a 7, and 338s as long as initial demand was high, and they just hit the biggest markets out of the gate.

Only thing I would read into this is that people are buying a-tips

The 7 PRC will outperform the Nosler with less powder and pressure. The Nosler chambers were designed to shoot (lighter and shorter bullets than we shoot) fast. So we load our own with the long heavies and tweek it all to make it work. Hornady does it right in my opinion. They have designed the bullets we want to shoot, based on LR flight characteristics then build a SAAMI chambering around that. The 300 PRC was designed for the 250 A-tip and I suspect the 7 PRC will be designed around the 190.
The outcomes are the Creedmoor family and the PRCs.
I reload and when I have time I enjoy it. But I quit load development on my Creedmoor before it started. I got a couple of boxes of precision hunter when I was breaking in and consistently shot sub half minute.
Half minute performance off the shelf ammo makes me happy. The idea of that in a l190 gr 28 caliber magnum is super sweet.

I've had great results from the 180 eld in three rifles. I've developed loads with many different Hornady bullets in several calibers. The 180 eld is my all time favorite bullet. This bullet @ 3100-3200 fps is very difficult to outperform in wind drift & tradjectory vs any other caliber & bullet combo. It could be matched with 225 eld's or 230 atips as I have shot them also but the recoil is significantly more with those when approaching 3100fps and must be managed well by the shooter. 7mm in the 300 prc case would be a solid performer.

I've had great results from the 180 eld in three rifles. I've developed loads with many different Hornady bullets in several calibers. The 180 eld is my all time favorite bullet. This bullet @ 3100-3200 fps is very difficult to outperform in wind drift & tradjectory vs any other caliber & bullet combo. It could be matched with 225 eld's or 230 atips as I have shot them also but the recoil is significantly more with those when approaching 3100fps and must be managed well by the shooter. 7mm in the 300 prc case would be a solid performer.
The .300 PRC will push the 225 to 3100 ?!

The .300 PRC will push the 225 to 3100 ?!
From what I understand, the 300 prc will push a 225 eld up to around 2900 fps in a 26" barrel with a Max load. Someone out there is probably getting a little more out of it. I could see a 180 eld in a necked down case reaching 3100 fps, maybe a little more.

Here is a 7mm-300 PRC case. My son thought it completed the visual image to stick a rough .284 bullet on there lol

20191107_173455.jpg

I was going to build me a wildcat, and found out lots already have, and Hornady was likely building a factory version. The guy that formed the case for me, shoots a 8mm-300PRC.

I talked to a nice fella running one with a 28" barrel. He pushes the 180 grain boolits to 3300 fps! With the 180 ELD-M, that is still moving 1407 fps at 1 Mile ! It will take it 2.4 seconds to get there. Stays Supersonic to 2400 yards!

He reassured me, that my initial goals for wanting one, were within reach. That was mainly to match a STW in a shorter case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.