Will the 7prc outrun the 7wsm?

Serious question:

As a cartridge designer, why don't you design cartridges with a noticeably longer neck to minimize throat erosion, which is one of the biggest problems with today's high-pressure cartridges? Short-fat cartridges with longer necks seem to make sense.
My beloved 7 Mashburn Super has the longer neck, designed in the 1950's...............:)

Have a great day all!

Serious question:

As a cartridge designer, why don't you design cartridges with a noticeably longer neck to minimize throat erosion, which is one of the biggest problems with today's high-pressure cartridges? Short-fat cartridges with longer necks seem to make sense.
Most of my cartridges DO have longer necks when I have enough to work with.
Take the SS as an example. Besides the 40 degree shoulder, the 7SS has a .331" inch long neck vs a .311 for the saum and about .225" for the wsm. The 7 Mega has a .334" long neck vs the .225" on the wsm, etc. Coupled with the 40 degree shoulder, the flame point is contained more within the case neck instead of directly into the throat. Thats why a 7SS with more capacity, will easily outrun a 6.5/284 and get considerably more barrel life, primarily because of the short neck on the 6.5/284.

Last edited:
For the Gallery the 30-06 Neck is 3.85" Long & the 7-WSM is .243" Long. IMO I assume the 06 has a long neck to retain the Bullet due to rough field conditions. This is the primary reason why I prefer the design of longer necks. I'd like to believe a longer neck means less throat erosion but there is not data to support that theory that I know of.

For the Gallery the 30-06 Neck is 3.85" Long & the 7-WSM is .243" Long. IMO I assume the 06 has a long neck to retain the Bullet due to rough field conditions. This is the primary reason why I prefer the design of longer necks. I'd like to believe a longer neck means less throat erosion but there is not data to support that theory that I know of.
I would offer the .243 win vs 6mm rem as about the closest example there is of a test between long and short neck cartridge and there effects on throat erosion.
While the 6mm rem burns more powder at higher pressure I have never heard anyone say the 243 throat will last as long as a 6mm rem throat. I fact its always been the opposite.
Now this is by no means a double blind study or anything but it is a fact that I have never heard dissputed, so that has to count for some something.

Serious question:

Most of my designs DO have a longer neck when I have enough material to work with. Thats why my 7 SS with a .331" long neck will get more barrel life than a 284 W and outrun it by a significant amount at the same time.
This is true of ALL the SS and SST groups.