is the 7PRC killing the 7saum?

I dont think the 7PRC is killing the 7SAUM.Its really a nice round.(7SAUM) The 7PRC hasnt had a big impact yet. Has anyone on here bought or built a 7PRCyet?Seenand factory 7PRC ammo for sale in a local store?

Time will tell I imagine, the SAUM came out in 2002, 20 years ago.......the PRC came out 12 days and 11 minutes ago.........sort of but you all get my point....:)

In the end, the grand old 7 Rem mag will still be at the top of the big 7's sales heap anyhow

I didn't say exactly. I said essentially. IIRC the case dimensions are very similar and both will launch a 180gr projectile around 3000 fps.
Does anyone have the 300 Blazer Reamer Print, I'd be interested in the 7mm version, perhaps I could make my 7MX with that brass.

Last edited:
Time will tell I imagine, the SAUM came out in 2002, 20 years ago.......the PRC came out 12 days and 11 minutes ago.........sort of but you all get my point....:)

In the end, the grand old 7 Rem mag will still be at the top of the big 7's sales heap anyhow
I got one of those Beauties too..lol A Browning White Gold Medallion. To its credit and my dumb luck I bore sighted it with a Lazer bullet abd went to our ranch abd dropped a 10 point.

Maybe the 7 saum is just that popular. I have 5 of them. Hard to beat the 7 saum. Probably my favorite and most efficient cartridge. Y'all can have the new fad of the prc. I push 180's close to 3,000 in all but one. Really is there any gain in the new kid on the block. I doubt it.
My 7SAUM out shoots my buddys 7PRc..So I cant see why I need one.When we both use the Berger 195mEOl and same H1000 powder he had to use more powder to get just 29 FPS close & was actually 29FPS below my 7SAUM I get just as many fires of my ADG 7SAUM brass as I do my 300 PRC lapua brass.so I cant buy the brass differenceone guy mentioned.I shoot alomost every day .Either my 7 SAUM,300 PRC,6.5 PRCopr 30 Sherman Mag.I dont shoot ,y 375 Cheytac much because of barrel life and costs.

I love my 6.5 prc. But my 7saum won't be headed anywhere anytime soon. 2950 out of an 18" barrel shooting 155's with no signs of pressure. All out of a short action/short cartridge, and feeds flawlessly. 7 saum is here to stay for me.

The thing that spurs new cartridges is what I call the SAAMI Immortality Effect. Once a proper functioning cartridge is given SAAMI or CIP status that's it in perpetuity. For obvious reason that cartridge spec is set in concrete. You might be able to get a change to a recommended twist rate but no way are you getting a COAL or freebore change for safety reasons for one.

Hunting rifles last generations and technology advances. Look back at when the 3006 308 7RM 300RM 243 WM 270 etc where created and when SAAMI listed them. What were the longest bullets that those cases would propell with powders of that time.

The cartridge SAAMI members have been putting forth since 2000-2010, IMHO, have no excuse.

I know how I would go about creating a new cartridge and they would all, for one, have reasonably long necks. The COAL would be set by the longest cup/core bullet that could be reasonably propelled from that case vol. It would be set by bullet bt junc set just above neck junc. Neck length would be dictated be the shortest bullets ogive planned to match that longest bullet BTO. Twist rate established by the longest. That would then dictate the action size and mag etc used.

Last edited:
What bullet?
195 Berger EOL
Screenshot_20221018_094655_Samsung Notes.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221018_094655_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018_094655_Samsung Notes.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
How long a barrel?

I have a 24" 8t on my 7 blaser improved. I think I'm 63.8 grain h1000 and get 2850 fps with that 195 eol. Can't quite get to next node at 2920ish