Thoughts on the 7SAUM

pburton

I have read all or most of the previous posts on the 7mm SAUM. Most of them are older. I am currently considering building a rifle in this caliber. I do have a couple of concerns. I see that most rifle manufacturers have stopped building rifles in the cal. This concerns me that brass will soon be hard to come by. Right now it is available from Norma and Nosler as well as loaded ammo. Is this a dying round? The rifle I have currently is a 270wsm that I am going to rebarrel. Should I just stick with the 270 since it has a better following and should stick around longer? Or should I be looking at something different? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Boy, that's a tough one. The 7 SAUM is a fantastic cartridge. I would not hesitate, but you do have some reasonable arguments against it. I don't know if it will die off or not.

And the 270 wsm can be made into an equally fantastic cartridge if you re-barreled with a fast enough twist to run the the new high BC bullets like the 170 grn EOL.

I would probably go with the 7 SAUM, and try and buy a bunch of brass up front. But that would be only a personal preference. :cool:

I like the 7 SAUM. Having one built right now. I am less worried about the brass situation because of the current success of the 6.5 SAUM. Hornady is making brass for that round. You should be able to just size it up. That makes the brass issue easier to work around. Bruce

Thanks for the responses. I have never heard of the 6.5 SAUM and on a quick search I didn't find anything about it being a production round. Although hearing this makes me feel a little better about the 7SAUM. I think that it would be a sweet round.

It appears that GA Precision is having the 6.5 SAUM made for them as a proprietary cartridge. It is called the 6.5 Gap 4s. Listed here but out of stock. No mention of price on page. GA Precision link view GA store:

http://www.gaprecision.net/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma and Nosler 7 SAUM brass can be found at

http://bullets.com/shop/category_brass

Note they are having several lifetimes supply of Norma 7 SAUM brass on sale!

2000 Norma cases regularly $2775 now only $2418.69. That is $1.20 a case! Quite a deal If you could peddle the rest.....

It appears that GA Precision is having the 6.5 SAUM made for them as a proprietary cartridge. It is called the 6.5 Gap 4s. Listed here but out of stock. No mention of price on page. GA Precision link view GA store:

Home - GA Precision

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norma and Nosler 7 SAUM brass can be found at

Bullets.com®

Note they are having several lifetimes supply of Norma 7 SAUM brass on sale!

2000 Norma cases regularly $2775 now only $2418.69. That is $1.20 a case! Quite a deal If you could peddle the rest.....

Thank you for this info. I have been able to find brass pretty easily when looking around yesterday. That is a good deal on the brass, I just don't have that kind of money to spend on it at this point.

I thought I've read somewhere that you could go from a SAUM to a WSM, but not the other way. I don't know. I do know that I love my Model Seven in 7 SAUM.

pburton,

It was a presented with a grin, as I doubted anyone but a professional loader would want to spend that kind of money on brass. Now if you knew 9 other shooters that would go in with you it would an awesome deal.

Also on bullets.com: Boxes of 25 Norma are also on sale but with less savings:

Reg. $42.95 now for $36.49 which amounts to 1.45 each

unfortunately they are currently out of stock

AZShooter,

I was hoping that you were joking. I really couldn't think of anyone I know that could afford to put that kind of cash into brass alone. It would be nice though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.