Thoughts on the Kimber Hunter

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

My buddy is looking for a lightweight long range rifle and I've been steering him toward a Tikka.
I've also been researching the kimber hunter and am wondering if that might be a better option for him in 280ai.
Does anyone have experience with the kimber lightweight rifles, particularly the Hunter?

The Kimber hunter is a half assed attempt at a budget lightweight rifle. It will sell to people who have to have a Kimber and have never shot a Tikka.

My buddy has a Kimber Mountain Ascent In .280AI. We bedded it before even trying to fire it. Factory stock to metal contact consisted of the tang of the action and the barrel starting about 3 to 4 inches ahead of the action. The entire front of the action was just hanging there, suspended by the tang and the barrel. We took our time and needed the action and about the first 2 inches of barrel. It shoots sub MOA with most loads. I believe he's getting about 1/2 MOA with 162 ELDXs at about 2900. His might be better than most but they're not all bad. BTW, I like the Tikkas but out of the three I've loaded for, one is 1/2 MOA, one is 1-1/4 MOA, and the other is about a 2 to 2-1/2MOA. Everyone makes lemons sometimes.

The mtn ascent and the hunter are two completely different animals separated by over $1000 price difference.

Ahhh, I'm not a big follower of Kimber rifles so I didn't know that, just that the bedding in the one I had messed with was totally hosed and I'm sure that it wouldn't have shot like it does without bedding it.

Middle:
Agreed, the Tikkas are homely. The detachable box magazines aren't my favorite either. But if they shoot, they shoot. And their new triggers are pretty great.

I can't say one would better than the other. I look for features in guns now. Most shoot well enough and better with a little TLC.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.