Hornady announced the 7mm A-tip, does that mean the 7PRC will be at SHOT?

7mm based on a 6.5 PRC would NEARLY be the FAMOUS 7 MM RSAUM cartridge - jmo WP
Yes, it would be close, The 6.5 barely fits into a short action magazine. A 7mm with 180 plus sized bullets would be stuffed way into a 6.5 prc case for it to work in a short action. So it would have to be done in a long action to see any benefit if it we're based on a 6.5 prc case.

A 7mm version of the 6.5 prc would pretty much duplicate what a 284 Winchester would do, which is not a bad thing at all if done on a long action & bullets seated long.

It always boils down to the same problem. Factory short actions dont fit properly in short actions! Thats why medium length actions are picking up steam and why many people are going to the SS and SST for short action builds.

It always boils down to the same problem. Factory short actions dont fit properly in short actions! Thats why medium length actions are picking up steam and why many people are going to the SS and SST for short action builds.
Very true, lots of folks talk about the 7mm saum & wsm being great cartridges and they are...... in a long action. But if a fellow is going to do a long action 7mm then there are more choices and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a saum or wsm in a long action cause it's better than stuffing a 180gr way into the case in order to make it work in a short action.

I really don't think the 7 PRC, if it comes to being,🤞 will be in a short action. The 6.5 PRC barely works in a short action with a binderless magazine or extended box. Like Rich said, more of a medium length cartridge, his cartridges are better true short magnums. I suspect it will be about 3/4 of a 300 PRC or what's the point? Something of a similar capacity to 7 Blaser improved, 7mm Practical, 7mm Mashburn, etc. Basically a 7mm LRM with Hornady's blessing/backing/marketing. Both of the PRC cartridges are here to stay. Both have commercial support for Dies, Brass (Hornady and now aftermarket) & 300 has military use which increases volume out there. Both are efficient modern designed cases. Like it or not, Hornady's support gives legitimacy and affordability to the round. No belt, no rebated rim, standard mag bolt face, short fat (ish), 30 Degree shoulder, decent neck, it's a solid design and would be awesome if applied to the 7mm. BTW, if you want the 6.5 or the 300 PRC necked to 7mm, just do that. I'm sure that Redding and others will have bushing neck dies out soon and just throw in the appropriate bushing after that. I don't see Hornady doing what it did with the 6MM Creedmoor to either case, just doesn't fill the niche that is needed. 6.5 would be too close to the 7SUAM and the 300 too close to the 28 Nosler and neither fits that design niche.

BTW, if I ever did a 300 PRC I think I'd have to go with Rich's version. That just looks like it will really work.

I don't see Hornady doing a 7mm in a 6.5 prc case. I really don't see them doing any other cartridges in the 6.5 prc parent case, especially larger Calibers based on long heavy bullets unless the case oal is shortened.

The new 7MM case will be bigger than the 6.5 PRC similar to the 7 mm LRM but not quite the same.... but I could be wrong. Nah.

If hornady ever released a 7mm I think it would be on the 300 prc case. Makes no sense to release one on the 6.5 prc case. Barely fits in a short action now let alone with one of those big 7mm spears. It would be in the same boat as a 7mm saum and a 7mm wsm. Too big for their britches.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.