Hornady announced the 7mm A-tip, does that mean the 7PRC will be at SHOT?

Did y'all not catch the new 390gr .375 or the 500gr 416?

.497 and .500 G7 B.C

Basically the lead core 375 many have been waiting for!

Here is a 7mm-300 PRC case. My son thought it completed the visual image to stick a rough .284 bullet on there lol

View attachment 157375

I was going to build me a wildcat, and found out lots already have, and Hornady was likely building a factory version. The guy that formed the case for me, shoots a 8mm-300PRC.

I talked to a nice fella running one with a 28" barrel. He pushes the 180 grain boolits to 3300 fps! With the 180 ELD-M, that is still moving 1407 fps at 1 Mile ! It will take it 2.4 seconds to get there. Stays Supersonic to 2400 yards!

He reassured me, that my initial goals for wanting one, were within reach. That was mainly to match a STW in a shorter case.
Long barrels and fast go together. short not so much.

I've been eye balling the 7mm-300 prc. I just cant justify the extra horse power over the 7mm rem mag for what I do. Not to mention the extra cost in the powder and reduced barrel life

Well, I feel the same way as you. I love my .300 Win Mag, and the PRC will not kill a deer any more dead. But I had a .30-375 wildcat, and I kind of like the idea that it is commercial now. I've considered having my barrel reamed to PRC.

Well, I feel the same way as you. I love my .300 Win Mag, and the PRC will not kill a deer any more dead. But I had a .30-375 wildcat, and I kind of like the idea that it is commercial now. I've considered having my barrel reamed to PRC.
Where I live I cant even find a spot to exceed the supersonic range of the 7mm rem mag so I honestly dont have the need to go bigger. My hunting shots are under 400 so realistically the 7mm rem mag is perfectly capable. Especially since I'm running the 180 eld-m. That combo just flat out works.

Where I live I cant even find a spot to exceed the supersonic range of the 7mm rem mag so I honestly dont have the need to go bigger. My hunting shots are under 400 so realistically the 7mm rem mag is perfectly capable. Especially since I'm running the 180 eld-m. That combo just flat out works.
Oh, trust me, I have to use Satielite images to even find a 400 yard spot near me to shoot. But I just can't let that detour me from getting what I want. I want a .375 Ruger, even though I will never be able to afford an Alaskan or African hunt. I will still enjoy loading for it, and shooting it.

I've been eye balling the 7mm-300 prc. I just cant justify the extra horse power over the 7mm rem mag for what I do. Not to mention the extra cost in the powder and reduced barrel life
7mm rem mag is a mighty fine round. I have two of them as well as a 7mm stw and a 7mm-08. My son was shooting my sendero 7mm rem mag when he was 8 years old. He Killed two nice bucks. If I only had to have one, it would be the 7mm rm, but since I'm partial to 7mm I just had to try other variations of it and I'm pleased with them also.

7mm rem mag is a mighty fine round. I have two of them as well as a 7mm stw and a 7mm-08. My son was shooting my sendero 7mm rem mag when he was 8 years old. He Killed two nice bucks. If I only had to have one, it would be the 7mm rm, but since I'm partial to 7mm I just had to try other variations of it and I'm pleased with them also.
I always wanted an STW, and I believe the 7mm-08 is the finest deer round there is. I've always liked the .284 rifles, and I wonder why there isn't a .284-378 Wby Mag :D

Im going to guess the 166 7mm a-tip g1 will be up somewhere between .680 to .700. If that happens to be the case, This will start to bridge the small gap between a 6.5 mm and 7mm. For example : 156 eol 6.5mm vs 166 a-tip 7mm out of say a 284 Winchester parent case. Which one wins?

Im going to guess the 166 7mm a-tip g1 will be up somewhere between .680 to .700. If that happens to be the case, This will start to bridge the small gap between a 6.5 mm and 7mm. For example : 156 eol 6.5mm vs 166 a-tip 7mm out of say a 284 Winchester parent case. Which one wins?

I would think the 166 7mm would possibly be more than that (I would hope). The 7mm 162gr ELDM already has a b.c of .67, that's what I shoot out of my 7 mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.