Tape on the end of barrel

I guess this is not over yet! :D :D

2j1qzb5.jpg
21ki6a0.jpg

2rz3pd2.jpg

FOLKS, I just came back from a hunt and they flat down don't wok!!! Extremely
sensitive and break and come apart providing no protection. They even come apart
in the gun box.

So... BACK to the TAPE!!! Sorry!!!!

FOLKS, I just came back from a hunt and they flat down don't wok!!! Extremely
sensitive and break and come apart providing no protection. They even come apart
in the gun box.

So... BACK to the TAPE!!! Sorry!!!!
Those things are made to be pretty darn tough. Maybe you needed a larger size.

My wife saw this thread and had a pretty darned good suggestion.

She said just buy some heavy duty dish gloves cut the thumb and fingers off, slip them on, and tape only the base.

Sometimes she's like a kid coming up with extremely simply solutions for problems we tend to over think.

I use those little things in the picture for my shotgun and rifle WITHOUT muzzlebreaks...You may wanna get something more heavy duty for a gun with a break on it. Id just use tape in your case.

Those things are made to be pretty darn tough. Maybe you needed a larger size.

My wife saw this thread and had a pretty darned good suggestion.

She said just buy some heavy duty dish gloves cut the thumb and fingers off, slip them on, and tape only the base.

Sometimes she's like a kid coming up with extremely simply solutions for problems we tend to over think.

That might be a cheap, good idea.

Here's a link or two to some thicker finger cots. I think the 'standard' finger cot Eaglet is likely using there is 4 mil. There are some available up to about 16 mil--I haven't checked 'em out yet. I do have some 6 mil finger cots, but being that my experience with the 4 mil version is similar to Eaglets, I'm not sure 6 mil will do it either. Have done a bit of research to find the below, but have not pulled the plug to buy any...

Industrial Finger Cots, Orange Finger Cots

Finger Cots, Nitrile finger cots, Powder Free Finger Cots

Bighorn Products | Home of Ultimate Wool Apparel & Ultimate Bore Protection

Have had several chances to use the above product. It's 6mil thick, so thicker than than the standard finger cot you buy at the drug store. I still found that they broke fairly easy, but much more durable than the drug store 4 mil finger cot. Got the idea to try 2 at once. This was MUCH more durable than just using one over the brake. I've shot a deer at 580 and a bear at 741yds shooting the Berger 300g Hybrid OTM through the two layers and the bullets hit right where I was aiming. Sometimes 'layering' stuff keeps some flexibility while adding to the strength. Will be hunting elk for a few days and will try two of these at a time again. So far, so good.

This year has been extremely wet and there is a ton of brush I have to go through to get to my spot so this year I used baloons. The size that blows up to about the size of a paper plate. They are tough and they worked even over my big brakes. I was planning on only using it for the hike in but didnt take it off before the shot. In all the hast it was forgotten. I would never have tried that on an animal on purpose before testing it first but it worked out. My dad shot an elk at 950 with it on and he hit very close to where he was aiming.

My stepdad tapes all his hunting guns. He has killed more deer than anyone I know. He is about 74 years old now and still out shoots the guys at the range. I promise the tape is blown off and out of the way before the bullet leaves the barrel. Go to the range and try it for yourself :)

Finger cots don't work as they tear very easily. I've used "thick" balloons for years. Very flexible to stretch over sights, brakes... and snug up around the barrel. Goes on quick, takes off quick and reusable.

Finger cots don't work as they tear very easily. I've used "thick" balloons for years. Very flexible to stretch over sights, brakes... and snug up around the barrel. Goes on quick, takes off quick and reusable.

Do you have a link perhaps, for what you use?

I tested it at 500 yards, three shot group about 1" of verticle and 3" of windage. Not sure which one had the tape but all three would have killed a prairie dog. I was using electrical tape and only a chunk the size of the bore was removed, the wrap was still there but it did not hurt accuracy at all.

gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.