Tape on the end of barrel

I have tapped my barrel for 30+, no problems. I hunt hard, steep MT terrain, been on my back many times, spend alot of time with crampons on to help with that.

I have tapped my barrel for 30+, no problems. I hunt hard, steep MT terrain, been on my back many times, spend alot of time with crampons on to help with that.

Agreed. I've never seen any impact differences from having tape over my barrel. Shots out to 600 have been spot on. After carrying my rifle in my Eberlestock for a while, I began to notice that dirt and sticks and grim that accumulated in my rifle scabbard was being ground up by the end of the barrel and I could see dust and bits of crap in the end of the bore. I figured tape couldn't be worse than the damage to the crown and the subsequent 'firelapping' that was going to take place as soon as I touched it off.

We all fall, we all inadvertently stick our barrels into brush get snow in them, rain in them, dirt in them, etc. which then leaves us with the options of cleaning when we get back to camp and then shooting again if we prefer fouled bores, or packiing filthy or clean barrels out the next day. Much snow or rain in a carbon steel barrel will cause it to rust, same for stainless but it takes more time.

If you're worried about impact changes at long range you can remove the tape, I always double over the end of the tape so that I can pull it off easily for that "really long shot" where I have time. But I'm sure that my bore is kept in better shape, less work is required, and far fewer worries with some electrical tape over the end.

Cross

i always tape the end of my barrel living in B.C. anywhere you go you can get stuff falling in the end of the barrel i have shot moose, elk, bear, deer, and now this year a sheep and have never had the slightest of issues i wouldnt chance a hunt of a lifetime on not taping the barrel.

i always tape the end of my barrel living in B.C. anywhere you go you can get stuff falling in the end of the barrel i have shot moose, elk, bear, deer, and now this year a sheep and have never had the slightest of issues i wouldnt chance a hunt of a lifetime on not taping the barrel.

That's the smart thing to do!

The only place it needs not tape is in the safe assuming we keep it clean!

I guess this is not over yet! :D :D

2j1qzb5.jpg
21ki6a0.jpg

2rz3pd2.jpg

I use electrical tape on the end of my barrels. Small ballons used with muzzle brakes. No issues with either.
I had a friend get lost. And after 13hrs we found him. About a 1/2 mile away across the canyon. He heard the Forest Service officers siren. He was going to shoot to let us know where he was. But he just yelled. Thank God we heard him. It took search and rescue 2 1/2 hrs to get to him and get back to the ridge we we on. He was semi hypotermic, dehydrated and hungry but ok. I took his gun and made sure it was unloaded before I put it in the p.u. I noticed something on the end of the barrel. It was mud. The next day I cleaned his gun and there was about 4 to 5 inches of mud in his barrel. Thank God he did not shoot it . He now puts tape on the end of his barrel and always takes his daypack with nessecary items needed if he has to spend the night.

I Have used everything from tape to a party ballon or anything else I could dream up to keep debris out of a barrel during long stays in the field. The preceding gases will blow the cover off before the bullet ever gets to the muzzle cover. It's a very good idea to use them, since most cases involve a rather beloved weapon. The U.S. Military has been doing this since "Mobby Dick" was a minnow.

As had been said if you are worried about the tape go to the range & fire a shot or two at what ever range takes your fancy, then tape the muzzle & shoot again, simple.

Over here most of us tape our barrels/brakes, it just makes sense.

Electrical tape is the story, tough enough to keep any stuff out of your rifle.

It can be a problem on suppressed rifles with strong tape as the compressed air in the barrel in front of the bullet loses pressure inside the suppressor & can fail to completely remove the tape before the bullet arrives.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.