Painting a stock

A good clear coat will deepen the colors. Also helps to protect the paint.

If you are airbrushing, thinning a bit helps. If sponging, go full strength.
Get some black paper and try out sponging first, to see how much you like to apply, and what coverage/opacity you want. Don't overdo it at first. Mush easier to add more, than remove if you get too overzealous.

My first attempt at sponge painting using rust oleum. I decided not to use a clear coat but it's held up well. Not nearly as fancy as others but definitely better than the black it was. I may get a little more creative on the next one.

Attachments

• 173F1176-C637-4F61-BD8E-EDAADED16936.jpeg
    173F1176-C637-4F61-BD8E-EDAADED16936.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 195
I saw several post NOT TO USE CLEAR COAT!
Why not use clear coat-because of a specific Brand that doesn't work?
If anyone did use clear coat and got "very good results" which Brand did you use?
We just got two McMillan XIT Stocks for competition and i want to put a high gloss finish on them.
We are moving our Cerakote operation otherwise I would use Clear Cerakote.
Thanks
Len

Len, I don't think they meant to not use clearcoat, but meant to use clearcoat compatible with the base, enamel over enamel, lacquer over lacquer and so forth.

Correct me I am wrong, but most have recommended clear to protect the base layers and end up with a matte finish
Darryle
We hope that you are doing well. We go some high-end McMillan stocks in "Molded in Marble" and want a High Gloss finish. McMillan does not do that type of finishes.
Can anyone recommend a High-End High Gloss Finish paint?
Thanks
Len & Jill

Darryle
We hope that you are doing well. We go some high-end McMillan stocks in "Molded in Marble" and want a High Gloss finish. McMillan does not do that type of finishes.
Can anyone recommend a High-End High Gloss Finish paint?
Thanks
Len & Jill
Find out what kind of resin they use, polyester or epoxy. Epoxy won't harden on top of polyester. don't ask how I know LOL

Any suggestions on who to send a manners stock to get a paint job? I've got a flat black stock and would like camo on it.
I don't know where live but here in Kansas City Missouri there is a company web site is customguncoating.com
Phone number is 1(816)805-6725 they do a great job look them up.

I don't know where live but here in Kansas City Missouri there is a company web site is customguncoating.com
Phone number is 1(816)805-6725 they do a great job look them up.
Thanks.
We have our own shop and can do it ourselves. It's just that our Creakote operation is down for a while until I get some help moving all the equipment. Just want to see if there is something in a spray can that zi can use for now.