Black electrical tape on barrels

MAV300

I been watching a lot of hunting shows, tis the season. My question is, why do I see a lot of long range shooters have black electrical tape about midway point on their rifle barrels? A lot of Best of the West shooters do. This has nothing to do with the end of barrel and keep muzzle from debris. Modern day mountain man did too.

I been watching a lot of hunting shows, tis the season. My question is, why do I see a lot of long range shooters have black electrical tape about midway point on their rifle barrels? A lot of Best of the West shooters do. This has nothing to do with the end of barrel and keep muzzle from debris. Modern day mountain man did too.

I can't explain it other than perhaps what Bulltinkle suggested!

I always (as does my wife) carry a roll ( partial roll) in our daypacks. Our muzzles always are taped, and soon replaced after a shot!

Quality electrical tape ( Scotch Super 33) can be used for many in field repairs including first aid! It's something that you'll never find us without! 😉memtb

I always (as does my wife) carry a roll ( partial roll) in our daypacks. Our muzzles always are taped, and soon replaced after a shot!

Quality electrical tape ( Scotch Super 33) can be used for many in field repairs including first aid! It's something that you'll never find us without! 😉memtb
This is what I've done historically but think how many cool points we are leaving on the table?!

I do too! I also have the finger condoms, they work well and are pretty cheap.

They work great to cover the muzzle…..not so great as securing a splint for a broken bone, repairing a broken stock until getting back to camp, repair shooting sticks, ect., ect.!

Quality electrical tape has many useful purposes…..limited only by your imagination! 😉 memtb

Well since your from PA, you could use it for attaching the tag to the deers horn, works well for that.
Assuming you see one of coarse, and then manage to hit it. lol

Many hunting rifles have contact points on the end of the forearm of the stock. This is to reduce vibration amplitude with the lighter shorter barrels. The tape may be there to improve contact between the barrel and stock.

When I was a teenager I worked as a busboy at a restaurant and cut my finger they hands some there at work and I covered the cut and got some extra ones for replacement. I forgot they were in my pocket and mom did the wash. My dad comes up to me and said the dryer shrunk my rubbers, I had to explain what they were. lol

Remember the Helly Hansen rain gear poster, The only time you're not having fun, is when you're not making money or it's raining. If she's raining hard enuff that the barrel could become a Rain Gauge, going back to the tent or the Truck, for a coffee.