Tape on the end of barrel

cabinfever

I have seen guys tape the end of a barrel using electrical tape or duct tape so as to keep moisture out of the barrel while hunting. I believe they did a segment on Long Range Pursuit and demonstrated that it didn't change POI. My question is can you tape the end of a barrel that has a muzzle break. What happens if some of the port holes are covered. Does this pose a hazard or will it change POI.

I tape my barrel and Muzzle brake all the time and it has no effect on poi or recoil the tape blows off before anything else happens. Tape is used by me to keep dirt, snow, ETC out of barrel while climbing around or in case I trip and stick my barrel into ground.

I think i will pass on all tape. It might not affect anything but it bothers me especially when a brake is involved. I will carry muzzle down in weather or muzzle down in my pack. If I screw up ang get debree in the muzzle I will clean it best I can and then run one passwith a bore snake from my pack to final clean and dry.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply's. It is a bit unnerving having something blocking the end of your barrel, however, I'm heading to AK on a hunt of a life time and I don't want that shot of a lifetime to be botched due to something in the barrel.

Thanks for the reply's. It is a bit unnerving having something blocking the end of your barrel, however, I'm heading to AK on a hunt of a life time and I don't want that shot of a lifetime to be botched due to something in the barrel.

I fully understand your concerns. But like you the tape would be on my mind. So here is food for thought. In all your past hunting experience have you ever had a problem that tape would have helped? Or, Will this tape give you the confidence you need or be a distraction? For me I will carry on as I have in the past especially on important hunt like this. I don't like change. :D

Have a great hunt and pleae report with pics when you return.

Jeff

I don't think the tape will be a distraction. Maybe the first time shooting it like that. I have yet to get something in the end of my barrel while out hunting, but than again I have never been on a once in a lifetime hunt in a state where it rains and spits snow as much as it is dry. AK is a little different than hunting the lower 48. Turns out their is a lot of information on this topic on the web. It sounds like as many AK hunters tape the end of their barrels as those who do not. Kind of surprised me how many said they do it.

saw an episode of best of the west if irecall correctly they had a short neoprene muzzle cover on end of barrel

Just put a tight fitting ballon over it. Secure the balloon at it's base/air hole with either a rubber band or tape.

The ballon will rupture before the bullet even gets to it.

As WYOELK stated. Tape does not affect anything but keeping debris and moisture out. I have taped mine for years. Have also used the little slip on, you can guy a bag of 5 for like a $ 1.50. They have never changed anything as well. Good luck. Maybe go shoot some with a piece of tape over the barrel and gain your confidence. Keep in mind the pressure and energy at the muzzle. You think a piece of tape is going to deflect or effect the barrel or bullet. Good luck.

I first discovered tapeing my barrel on a hunt in "The Bob" when a guide strongly recommended it. I did not like it one bit so about the 2nd day I took it off. Next day I discovered a small stick lodged into the end of my barrel when pulling my gun out of the saddle scabbard that had gotten full of twigs (you know horses going under trees). After clearing my gun I quickly asked for more tape and now always keep a roll in my pack.:)

I use latex finger cots. Ill post a link. Just roll em down like a barrel condom :D.

Also may want to get some little rubber bands to ensure that it doesnt come off...They come in 3 different sizes. If you have a break the LARGE will stretch over the break. I use the small for my .22 and the LARGE for my 12 gauge. They are alittle tricky if you have a front site tho. haha

Finger Cots - Latex Finger Cot - Allegro Medical Supplies

I think i will pass on all tape. It might not affect anything but it bothers me especially when a brake is involved. I will carry muzzle down in weather or muzzle down in my pack. If I screw up ang get debree in the muzzle I will clean it best I can and then run one passwith a bore snake from my pack to final clean and dry.

Jeff

+1 on the Bore Snake! That is a must have in my deer pack! Not a huge fan of tape either! To each their own!

I spend a lot of time riding the horse with a rifle in a saddle scabbord. If you have ever seen the crap that acccumulates in a saddle scabbord. Then you would find a solution. My solution is tape on the barrel. I cover the end then take a rap around the barrel and leave a one inch Tail of tape. The tail of tape makes it easy to rip the tape off and in the situation where a very quick shot is needed the tape gets blown to bits.

Do not plan on shooting varmit bullets through tape and hitting a thing is my experience.

I also carry a boresnake

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts