Tape over barrel in bad weather

In inclement weather I carry rifle horizontally, either in hand or slung on shoulder inverted, or cradled with but under armpit and center of rifle resting on forearm and angled down. If I fall always seem to lift rifle or bow up to protect from damage. These carry methods also protect scope lenses from debris and water, I don't use scope caps.

In inclement weather I carry rifle horizontally, either in hand or slung on shoulder inverted, or cradled with but under armpit and center of rifle resting on forearm and angled down. If I fall always seem to lift rifle or bow up to protect from damage. These carry methods also protect scope lenses from debris and water, I don't use scope caps.

Great plan…..until you fall, slip, ect. You "may" put the muzzle we're it doesn't belong! 😉
Scope caps: we don't use them either! Automotive inner tubes are used. Very tough, very waterproof, easy/fast off, and cheap…..many can be made from one inner tube! 😉 memtb

Didn't have stuff like that when I was in the military. We used tape. In Alaska I used barrel cots, little condoms. Cut fingers off latex gloves etc is fine too. Tape is the easiest tho.

I've used all the solutions mentioned so far. They all work and are sufficient to protect your muzzle from the many mishaps which can take place far from home.

The one which still makes me chuckle though stems from teaching firearms safety instruction classes with youngsters. I always keep a pocketful of the skinny balloons in a multitude of bright colors. When we discuss muzzle protection, I pull out the bright, colorful balloons and demonstrate rolling them onto the barrel over the muzzle. The kids get a kick out of picking their favorite colors to dress up their barrels!😁

We used "Finger Rubbers" (condom like) to put in the end of our barrels. These are used to cover your fingers while working on small items or to cover a bandaid on a cut. I posted pictures last year.
work great to keep snow/ rain out of the muzzle.
We knew them in manufacturing as "finger cots" or "Stubby Rubbers."

I like to use the small round target plasters for the muzzle if there is no brake. Works well and does not affect accuracy in any way. You can buy cheep rolls on Brownell's.