Anyone run tape over suppressor muzzle?

Backstory: I got in a bind and put a narrow piece of gorilla tape over my 300wm suppressor for close range hunting in deep snow and dark timber. It was great because my rifle ate a lot of snow but I forgot to remove it and a few days later made a shot at 780yds on a bull Elk. It made an interesting tear that looked more like a hole punch in paper When placing the tape back together. I am going to recreate the shot and see if it was a deterrent on my 1st shot. (4 shots fired total and 2 holes in the shoulder put him down quick.)

I did this same tape on my brothers 30.06 barrel w no suppressor and to tore like I would expect when he shot a muledeer at 60yds.

Just arm chair qtr backing myself
James

Longshotjames,
Sounds more like you created an obstruction.

Didn't this topic pop up here in the recent months, may be worth a search. I remember writing a response something along the lines of no balloons or condoms, suppressors heat up fast and I hate the smell of burning rubber.

I have been using 3M electric tape on the muzzle brake on my .300 WM for 6 years. No accuracy problems. The hot gas and pressure just shreds it around the brake. I tried balloons but gave up after day 1 because they shred if you go through brush.

light duty duct tape or electric for me. Works fine. I used to use barrel rubbers but they do tear easy. Bought in alaska and used for years. Went to heavy duty latex or rubber gloves and cut the fingers off. Can's are too big around for that so back to just tape. I hunt during the winter and snow/ice can be an issue.

Last edited:
Backstory: I got in a bind and put a narrow piece of gorilla tape over my 300wm suppressor for close range hunting in deep snow and dark timber. It was great because my rifle ate a lot of snow but I forgot to remove it and a few days later made a shot at 780yds on a bull Elk. It made an interesting tear that looked more like a hole punch in paper When placing the tape back together. I am going to recreate the shot and see if it was a deterrent on my 1st shot. (4 shots fired total and 2 holes in the shoulder put him down quick.)

I did this same tape on my brothers 30.06 barrel w no suppressor and to tore like I would expect when he shot a muledeer at 60yds.

Just arm chair qtr backing myself
James
Gorilla glue Tape is WAY too stout for that job...

Electical tape can get sticky on the barrel. I've been using kids water balloons that are textured to look like grenades but they come in all shapes and colors in packages of 100 or more. So what if they don't last, just carry a bunch in your pocket.

If you're using a suppressor, a little water in it will make it quieter... ;)

But as others have said, thin protection is probably better for long range accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.