Anyone machine their own muzzle brakes?

K
Copying another manufacturer's muzzle brake design would not be patent infringement unless you tried to sell it. Making one for your own use wouldn't be a legal problem.
That's actually not correct - making your own brake that incorporates a design covered by an unexpired patent would be patent infringement, because US patent law grants a patent holder the right to prevent others from making, using, or selling something covered by the patent's claims.

I agree that making your own and quietly using it presents a lower risk of legal problems, because a) the patent holder is less likely to find out and b) the damages are smaller (just one lost sale instead of multiple).

Last edited:
Check MM's profile to see he is from Australia I think which is why he makes that statement.

There is nothing about making muzzle brakes which is illegal in the United States. This applies to any which are non-infringing. You can't break the patent laws just because you want to imitate a design to make money. Original designs and manufacturing of brakes is legal.

Is it illegal in any state to make a muzzle brake???

I did not see any information on manufacturing a "Muzzle Brake" and it being "Illegal" to make. Sig had an issue with one of their Brakes a few years ago because it was thought to be part of a Sound Suppressor system.

Firearms Manufacturing relates to Receivers/Frames.
There are a few States that have issues with "Flash Suppressor" and Muzzle Brakes in that category.

Here is the long definition

I do know that if you make your own Muzzle Brake make sure that your Ports are Exactly the same in size and orientation. You want the gasses behind the bullet to have equal distribution after leaving the barrel. If you are good machinist and have a good Mill/Lathe you can do it. Most are done on a CNC. A lot of the Brakes out there today are from someone having a good idea and putting it to steel. Innovation is always making our sport better.

Attachments

• atf-ruling-2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing_0.pdf
    69.2 KB · Views: 89
Some people just enjoy machining things themselves. If you have the equipment I say go for it. Your brake will probably not be as effective as some others but it will be "your brake".

30 years ago I went to look at a manual lathe a small machine shop was selling. It would be my first lathe. After looking over the machine, the owner saw I had a genuine interest and offered to give me a tour of his shop. The shop was immaculate. Housed in a nice space maybe 50 by 80. Well at some point we got to an area with smaller machines. I saw a nice clean lathe that did not seem to have any manufacturer plates. I asked the owner what brand of machine it was.

He went on to tell me his father was a retired master machinist. He said when he was in high school his dad had him make this small lathe. It was a full geared head lathe around 10 x 30. He said his dad told him when he finished building the lathe he would be a pretty decent machinist. I think my jaw dropped. Hobbing ever gear, making your own lead screw. What a project. I am sure he used every machine in his dads shop but building your own geared head lathe, wow?

Then he told me his retired dad was across the way in his home. His father built Live Steam locomotives. Scale locomotives that function just as a full size locomotive, just to a scale you can ride. So we walked over and looked at his fathers work. He was on his third scale locomotive. He was not building these from a kit. He would get original blueprint drawings for a locomotive. He would scale them down and machine or build every part. Again my jaw dropped. I had heard of these Live Steam locomotives but had never seen one up close. I left that day thinking "This is America". These are the type of skilled people that built this country.

Easy to buy something but some people love to build something.

Some people just enjoy machining things themselves. If you have the equipment I say go for it. Your brake will probably not be as effective as some others but it will be "your brake".

30 years ago I went to look at a manual lathe a small machine shop was selling. It would be my first lathe. After looking over the machine, the owner saw I had a genuine interest and offered to give me a tour of his shop. The shop was immaculate. Housed in a nice space maybe 50 by 80. Well at some point we got to an area with smaller machines. I saw a nice clean lathe that did not seem to have any manufacturer plates. I asked the owner what brand of machine it was.

He went on to tell me his father was a retired master machinist. He said when he was in high school his dad had him make this small lathe. It was a full geared head lathe around 10 x 30. He said his dad told him when he finished building the lathe he would be a pretty decent machinist. I think my jaw dropped. Hobbing ever gear, making your own lead screw. What a project. I am sure he used every machine in his dads shop but building your own geared head lathe, wow?

Then he told me his retired dad was across the way in his home. His father built Live Steam locomotives. Scale locomotives that function just as a full size locomotive, just to a scale you can ride. So we walked over and looked at his fathers work. He was on his third scale locomotive. He was not building these from a kit. He would get original blueprint drawings for a locomotive. He would scale them down and machine or build every part. Again my jaw dropped. I had heard of these Live Steam locomotives but had never seen one up close. I left that day thinking "This is America". These are the type of skilled people that built this country.

Easy to buy something but some people love to build something.
What a GREAT Story. Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have had good experiences with some very simple and inexpensive muzzle brakes, Harrels on a 308, Miculek on an AR. Both noticeably less gun movement. Although I have never done side by side comparison with more complex and expensive brakes so maybe not the best.

YMMV

JB

I make them. Not hard to do, but don't plan on saving money unless you make lots of them. You will need pin gauges to line up your barrel and brake stock and starter and bottoming taps. As far as engineering, muzzle brakes are simple physics. You simply have have to release pressure before the bullet leaves the muzzle. I make the holes on top smaller to try to lessen muzzle blast. I don't make any holes on the bottom to keep from blowing up dust. They work. I have a .338 RUM with a stock light weight barrel and synthetic stock that has an extremely brutal recoil. My home made brake tames the recoil substantially, but don't forget your ear plugs!

I did not see any information on manufacturing a "Muzzle Brake" and it being "Illegal" to make. Sig had an issue with one of their Brakes a few years ago because it was thought to be part of a Sound Suppressor system.

Firearms Manufacturing relates to Receivers/Frames.
There are a few States that have issues with "Flash Suppressor" and Muzzle Brakes in that category.

Here is the long definition

I do know that if you make your own Muzzle Brake make sure that your Ports are Exactly the same in size and orientation. You want the gasses behind the bullet to have equal distribution after leaving the barrel. If you are good machinist and have a good Mill/Lathe you can do it. Most are done on a CNC. A lot of the Brakes out there today are from someone having a good idea and putting it to steel. Innovation is always making our sport better.
You Da MAN... thanks buddy!!!

Make your own...try some different designs...don't worry about patents or any of that BS...nearly every brake being sold at the moment is a copy or very close copy of another one already out there...the newest and "greatest" brake right now is basically a direct copy of another company just built out of a different material.

Do any of you guys make and install your own muzzle brakes? Many of us aren't rich enough to just pay someone else to do things, or just want to do it ourselves. Most designs aren't that complex if you have a lathe and mill. The Browning BOSS type system is the exception.
Yes,made many...
Mostly Vais copies...

Yes I have for 2 of my rifles. I built one for a 458 WM and one for a 45-70 lever action.
I made both on the same pattern and both worked extremely well. All using a large and drill press.

Attachments

• FDA0A38D-FE76-43C1-90E5-5145B79C4787.jpeg
    FDA0A38D-FE76-43C1-90E5-5145B79C4787.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
My gunsmith had a bunch of trouble with _ _ _ MB's
back in the mid 80's with bullet strikes to the inside of the bore.
He told them if they could not get it under control he would start making his own.'
They said they would sue him, He said go ahead.
T.P.

Last edited: