Muzzle Brakes....

JiggyIi

Many people on here use muzzle brakes and many others hate them.
Why not take the break off for hunting & put a thread protector on???
I do it on many of mine......

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't want to be changing how you shoot during parts of the year. If you suck so bad or are weak to the point you NEED a muzzle brake, then you're probably going to keep it.

If you have the ability to manage recoil like an adult, or you (more likely) shoot an overbore (probably some 6.5) cartridge, then it's really a non-issue all together.

Many people on here use muzzle brakes and many others hate them.
Why not take the break off for hunting & put a thread protector on???
I do it on many of mine......
Because it changes the barrel harmonics and might affect bullet POI, esp. at long range.
You mean Brakes
If you hate it, why bother?
If you like them, why take them off for hunting?
Exactly!
Yeah, you don't want to be changing how you shoot during parts of the year. If you suck so bad or are weak to the point you NEED a muzzle brake, then you're probably going to keep it.

If you have the ability to manage recoil like an adult, or you (more likely) shoot an overbore (probably some 6.5) cartridge, then it's really a non-issue all together.
An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, a reduction in felt recoil and a reduction of muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. I am not recoil-sensitive (but I know others that are), but I have been using muzzle brakes since 2003. Most of my hunting rifles now sport a muzzle device (MBs and suppressors).

If you're going to use a brake, use it all the time. Double up on ear pro at the range and in practice. When hunting, you should wear hearing protection if you're worried about damaging your ears regardless of having a muzzle brake or not. The blast from a rifle with or without a brake is hurting your ears. Doing load development and practicing with a brake, then taking it off to hunt is a bad idea. Your load can go out of tune because of the difference in barrel harmonics and the entire recoil impulse and what you practiced will be different.

Because it changes the barrel harmonics and might affect bullet POI, esp. at long range.

Exactly!

An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, a reduction in felt recoil and a reduction of muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. I am not recoil-sensitive (but I know others that are), but I have been using muzzle brakes since 2003. Most of my hunting rifles now sport a muzzle device (MBs and suppressors).
Being aware of what a muzzle brake does, I addressed both those two things.

I have been and am still saying for years now on here, that it's not necessary. At least for .338 and below.

Again, if you manage recoil correctly, you can have good results, and can follow your shot through the scope. The problem is when people rely on the brake for masking bad technique, and recoil management. I don't care about how sensitive people are.

It is GREAT TO HAVE CHOICES! We don't all have to shoot the same cartridge, or same setup, or same anything.
I shoot 375H&H with out a Brake and with. I shoot 22-250 without and with a Brake. MY choice! Nothing anyone says can "insult my manhood"
ENJOY

It is GREAT TO HAVE CHOICES! We don't all have to shoot the same cartridge, or same setup, or same anything.
I shoot 375H&H with out a Brake and with. I shoot 22-250 without and with a Brake. MY choice! Nothing anyone says can "insult my manhood"
ENJOY
Well said!!!!!!!!!

This reminds me of a guy I used to shoot trap with. He always shot the heavy 1 1/8 oz loads, and would brag that he never flinched. One day we were on the same squad, and he had a dud. He had to take a step forward to catch himself, or his bbl would have been stuck in the ground.

Just sayin'

ENJOY
Exactly! Simultaneously, it allows a 58 lbs 8-year-old girl to shoot dad's .300WM.

Last edited:
I shot a unbaked 340 wby for ten years.First year I put 400 rounds threw it.That rifle bit me a few times. I m a 338 fan built a 7 # NM, shot it for 13 years, in steep mountain country.Its braked, hearing protection a must.13, must be unlucky as I rushed a lr shot on a wolf, and tried to go one handed, as I needed my fist under rear for hold.Bad idea, I new, but didn't expect to break my nose and get 2 black eyes.LESSON LEARNED

I have been and am still saying for years now on here, that it's not necessary. At least for .338 and below.

Again, if you manage recoil correctly, you can have good results, and can follow your shot through the scope. The problem is when people rely on the brake for masking bad technique, and recoil management. I don't care about how sensitive people are.
I too, am VERY bad@$$.

I never understood why artillery guns have muzzle brakes. They just need to be tougher, less sensitive and have better technique. We are just much smarter than everyone else, it's their own fault, really.

I think you made that loud and clear.

I too, am VERY bad@$$.

I never understood why artillery guns have muzzle brakes. They just need to be tougher, less sensitive and have better technique. We are just much smarter than everyone else, it's their own fault, really.
It's about learning the craft and not relying on equipment whenever possible. I'm sorry but recoil management is a shooting fundamental in precision shooting. Doesn't matter if you don't like that.

Were you in an artillery battalion?
A 155 and a :308/270/.300 whatever, is not the same thing. I thought I was clear that it was appropriate at a certain point, imo, to add a muzzle brake.

It's about learning the craft and not relying on equipment whenever possible. I'm sorry but recoil management is a shooting fundamental in precision shooting. Doesn't matter if you don't like that.

Were you in an artillery battalion?
A 155 and a :308/270/.300 whatever, is not the same thing. I thought I was clear that it was appropriate at a certain point, imo, to add a muzzle brake.
Agreed, man, you and I get it. It's everybody else who are the problem.