Muzzle brakes

A 6.5 Covid? No doubt the OP has his/her reasons for a 16" 375, but to put a muzzle brake on that sure is a novelty--and makes me think of a couple of asides Robert Rourk had in his Something of Value and Uhuru; "They [the natives] thought it was the sound that killed." For a short time the score must have been highly in favor of their enemies, various and sundry heavy, large, and/or sharp toothed, and each other. Shooting and using the medium Holland sans brake with a 24" barrel isn't really any big thing; I can only imagine the racket with a brake on a 16" barreled version! Maybe one wouldn't have to actually hit anything; the sound alone may have the desired effect. But guns do fire on both ends... Hearing aid companies are no doubt sending spam emails already...

I'd like one of these for a Seekins PH2 but want it closer to the same profile as the barrel. Is that possible?
I don't know the barrel diameter on that, but because the timing nut, you can't really turn them down any smaller than the .99". I don't think they look bad on smaller barrels though. Here is a photo of one on a bergara with a .75" barrel.
173AEC98-BEB9-4283-827B-DDDAA4327A2D.jpeg

Something that I just noticed reading one of the mfg's pages is that they make their SS brakes from 416 SST. they note that this is the alloy that most barrels are made from. This is potentially a real problem. SS on SS galls and the closer the two alloys are to being the same the easier this happens. No way would I install a SS brake on a SS barrel without using SS specific anti-seize on the threads.

I'm sure that they do it for the best color match, but be careful out there! Would suck to seize a brake on an expensive barrel.

Something that I just noticed reading one of the mfg's pages is that they make their SS brakes from 416 SST. they note that this is the alloy that most barrels are made from. This is potentially a real problem. SS on SS galls and the closer the two alloys are to being the same the easier this happens. No way would I install a SS brake on a SS barrel without using SS specific anti-seize on the threads.

I'm sure that they do it for the best color match, but be careful out there! Would suck to seize a brake on an expensive barrel.

I've had many SS brakes on a wide variety of SS rifle barrels and have never had one seize or anything close to that. I just put a little Sinclair bolt lube on the threads and that's it. I've never used "anti-seize" compound of any sort.

If this is the case what happens when you put a stainless barrel on a stainless action ?

Put a Terminator t3 on a 300 rum that is very light. The terminators are for real. Night and day over the 4 port that was on it before. I really didn't think it would be much different but boy was I wrong. 230gn bergers from the rum and the gun barely moves when shot. Noise and blast behind the gun were still a non issue.
Great brake that I will definitely use again on hard kickers.
Shep

I've had many SS brakes on a wide variety of SS rifle barrels and have never had one seize or anything close to that. I just put a little Sinclair bolt lube on the threads and that's it. I've never used "anti-seize" compound of any sort.
At least you've got something lubricative in the threads.

Mr. Murphy has signed a lease on my shop. I have to do things the best way that I can find or figure out, or I get bit.

I'm quite sure that 416 is not as bad about galling as the 300 series SST's are (some of those are TERRIBLE!), but I wouldn't gamble either.

I'd like to give a shout-out to insite arms muzzle break company. (Good Canadian company). Especially their hybrid model. For those strapped for cash these days and wanting to stretch their dollars; the hybrid allows you to swap-out an insert (say a 6mm) for a larger caliber (say a 338). Just unthread the break from the 6mm to the 338 and swap out the insert and your done. Takes less then 2 min for the whole process. You can buy all the inserts for all your different caliber rifles.
I've currently have the Heathen on my 6mm creedmoor.

+1 for Nathan @ Muzzle Breaks and More. I have one on my Weatherby UltraLightweight in 6.5 Creed and my Mark V in .300 Weatherby. Highly effective but deafening; I have to double plug when shooting either rifle. Pat Laibs @ Laibs Gunsmithing in Spicer MN did the thread and install.
20200621_153139.jpg

20200621_153228.jpg
20200621_153218.jpg
20200621_153146.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.