Muzzle Brakes....

I know, I'm PRS guys. Yes, I've been to nationals. I'm aware.
But I can still take a random .308 and follow shots any day of the week.

Same in the Marine Corps, with the M40.
Fundamentals is key.
Ah... I see where you are coming from now. I don't disagree with you. I was just bitching about all of the worthless toys on my reloading bench and I get what you are saying. Basically... you can't buy accuracy... to put rounds on target... you have to know how to put rounds on target and why they are on target.

I still ain't taking the muzzle brake off of my .338 Edge. :)

Buddly? Do you have a quigly-ford scopes?

How do you know you shoot more than me?

Or that you're bigger, stronger or tougher than me? Or anyone here for that matter?

and you got my do's and don'ts, since you asked and all…
I like brakes just fine. I'm saying don't use them as a crutch for bad technique. A little touchy there no?
The only one who said anything about bad technique is you.
I have rifles with brakes and rifles with no brakes.
Never said I shoot more than you.
And I Am A Big Strong Tough S.B & at 55 yrs I put many too shame
Touchy…. Not at all. Read your 1st reply. It will put most on the offensive
My technique is fine. Check yours, learn how to speak to others who are on here asking questions & opinions

The only one who said anything about bad technique is you.
I have rifles with brakes and rifles with no brakes.
Never said I shoot more than you.
And I Am A Big Strong Tough S.B & at 55 yrs I put many too shame
Touchy…. Not at all. Read your 1st reply. It will put most on the offensive
My technique is fine. Check yours, learn how to speak to others who are on here asking questions & opinions
Yes, I did. Because brakes can correlate to masking poor technique.

Never said you don't shoot more than me?
Let me refresh you're short memory.
IMG_2325.jpeg

Ok old man. You're big and strong. Feel better?
I've been on this forum longer than you, I don't need to learn how to talk to anyone. You asked, I answered within the rules of the forum. That's how it works. I stand by my first reply.

It is what it is. If you're so triggered, just block me. My thoughts, opinions, and responses haven't changed in a long time, on here, snipershide or in person.

Yes, I did. Because brakes can correlate to masking poor technique.

Never said you don't shoot more than me?
Let me refresh you're short memory.
View attachment 453358

Ok old man. You're big and strong. Feel better?
I've been on this forum longer than you, I don't need to learn how to talk to anyone. You asked, I answered within the rules of the forum. That's how it works. I stand by my first reply.

It is what it is.
I've met butt holes before, you wont be the last. Goodbye
Than MOST DO in a year. No one singled out especially you. It is what is is Mr Longtime….big deal

Yeah, you don't want to be changing how you shoot during parts of the year. If you suck so bad or are weak to the point you NEED a muzzle brake, then you're probably going to keep it.

If you have the ability to manage recoil like an adult, or you (more likely) shoot an overbore (probably some 6.5) cartridge, then it's really a non-issue all together.

Kinda along these lines is how I decided to "chunk" the brake!

I didn't want to attempt to hunt with plugs…..20+ years prior to the new fancy electronics stuff, and the change of zero problems!

My personal determination, when I can't handle the recoil while hunting…..it's time to "hang it up"!

IF, I were to be shooting a great deal with a high recoil rifle….I would consider using a brake!

Also would consider using a brake on rifles other than my hunting rifle. I simply don't want to use one in the field! memtb

Last edited:
I had a discussion on this last week. A guy asked why a big guy like me needed a brake on a 300WM. I told him it made it more enjoyable to shoot and 6-8 shots what about my threshold on that rifle before the brake. He said he shoots his 300 all day with no brake. I kindly said to each their own.

I have some with some without brakes. I will say when sitting next to someone with a muzzle brake, it's not that enjoyable to be the neighbor at the range. I run double ear protection at all times for just this reason.

The photo is for context. It's 100 yard to the other end of the range. Some of that is for pistols. I'm set up on the 300 yard range. It's the longest available and not much challenge for the .338 Edge but it's great for testing. I don't double up on ear pro btw. Maybe I should. WHAT? I SAID M A Y B E I SHOULD. :)

There were some guys down at the 50 yard range shooting a suppressed .308. I caught their attention and told them I was about to shoot then suggested that they use hearing protection. They waved me off. I tried again but they ignored me. Okee dokey... I tried. My MSA's cut when the sound spikes but amplifies the sound around me afterwards. Right after I shot I heard a cadence of mother xxx, sob, and other adjectives. I looked toward them before I shot round 2 and they were all ear pro'd up. If I forget my plugs or other hearing protection and someone is there when I get to the range I don't go in. So yeah... muzzle brakes are loud but a good one sure makes it easier on the shooter.

p160433754-4.jpg

Just ask this little guy (different day, same .338 Edge)

p142634117-4.jpg

Last edited:
I look at it this way. If you have good mechanics, the reduction in recoil should only make you better, no? I honestly just don't get why some have the need to look down on others for doing something they don't do.

It has been proven, over and over, if you reduce recoil, the effectiveness on target goes up. Period. For people with very good mechanics, the difference isn't as great, but it is still statistically significant. For those who have flaws, it helps even more. Isn't that a good thing? Especially when hunting? Why would we advocate for people to be worse? And before you jump on me telling me that those people should practice more, I agree, but reality is reality. Some don't have the time or the finances to do that. That should not preclude them from participating. Part of living in a country that was founded on freedom is living with the fact that it means some will use that freedom differently than others, even when it looks (or is) stupid to us.

Because it changes the barrel harmonics and might affect bullet POI, esp. at long range.

Exactly!

An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, a reduction in felt recoil and a reduction of muzzle rise. The latter is often not realized. I am not recoil-sensitive (but I know others that are), but I have been using muzzle brakes since 2003. Most of my hunting rifles now sport a muzzle device (MBs and suppressors).
Muzzle brakes to me are more of a fad rather than a necessity. I have never seen where a muzzle brake makes much of a difference on muzzle flip and as far as reduced recoil I can see that on a 50 cal on maybe even a 338 or a 300 RUM but for most of
I too, am VERY bad@$$.

I never understood why artillery guns have muzzle brakes. They just need to be tougher, less sensitive and have better technique. We are just much smarter than everyone else, it's their own fault, rea

Muzzle brakes to me are more of a fad rather than a necessity. I have never seen where a muzzle brake makes much of a difference on muzzle flip and as far as reduced recoil I can see that on a 50 cal on maybe even a 338 or a 300 RUM but for most of

My findings have been different. Before I installed brakes on my 300RUM and 338RUM, under recoil the scope would periodically brush my eyebrow. That's way too close for comfort and it made it clear that if I shot those rifles prone that getting hit with the ocular lens was almost certain. I personally hate brakes but they can be a necessity for some of us.

As far as muzzle flip; try a brake with top ports and you will see a noticeable difference in muzzle rise. High speed video shows that if the top holes are too big that the barrel is actually pushed downward during recoil.

Last edited:
You can view it however you see fit. I never started using MBs and suppressors or any item/product because it was a fad. No one is selling the idea/product as a necessity or forcing anyone to use them. It is a personal choice/preference.

My findings have been different. Before I installed brakes on my 300RUM and 338RUM, under recoil the scope would periodically brush my eyebrow. That's way too close for comfort and it made it clear that if I shot those rifles prone that getting hit with the ocular lens was almost certain. I personally hate brakes but they can be a necessity for some of us.

As far as muzzle flip; try a brake with top ports and you will see a noticeable difference. High speed video shows that of the top holes are too big that the barrel is actually pushed downward during recoil.
Ditto!