Tape over barrel in bad weather

Well, the military has been using shoot-away muzzle caps on the M16/M4 since I was a young trainee... they seemed to work. Yeah, I imagine if you put a ton of duct tape or electrical tape over a muzzle there might be some type of pressure build up... but just a few peices? there might be a minor, not quite precipitable pressure build-up depending on the amount as I said, I can say that some of the military muzzle caps were near beaten on to keep them watertight, and I've shot them off with both live round and blanks I don't know of anyone having a problem due to pressure. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

1663284439208.png

Well, the military has been using shoot-away muzzle caps on the M16/M4 since I was a young trainee... they seemed to work. Yeah, I imagine if you put a ton of duct tape or electrical tape over a muzzle there might be some type of pressure build up... but just a few peices? there might be a minor, not quite precipitable pressure build-up depending on the amount as I said, I can say that some of the military muzzle caps were near beaten on to keep them watertight, and I've shot them off with both live round and blanks I don't know of anyone having a problem due to pressure. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

View attachment 394445

The plastic M16 muzzle cap cost me a P100 cut one year. Missed the cut by 2 points.

After rapid fire prone we had rain delay, restarted prone slow fire after an hour or so. My 1st shot at 600 was 7 at 6, full value correction, 2nd shot 7 at 12, 3rd shot I went back to dope come up, cleaned the rest.

When I got off the line my scorer said the plactic rain cover flew off with the 1st shot. Not realizing it was there, when the 7 showed, without hesitatiom I cranked up full value correction. Lost 6 points in those first 2 shots, missed the cut by 2....

In the pit when I was telling one of my buddies about the mishap, apparently one gun writer was listening. He added that episode in his next book. He did not know me, thus my name was not mentioned.

Never shot through one at short range, have no idea what the POI shift up close.

Last edited:
I always carry electrical tape with me primarily to secure the tags. I prefer the finder cots over the electrical tape. At one time, I could not find my finger cots; I used latex gloves, which I also bring with me all the time. In addition, I also have a protector that covers my scope and muzzle similar to this ...

1663346943577.png

Last edited: