Talk me into a FFP scope if you can.

I think it all comes down to application and personal preference.

lightbulbIt don't get no simpler than that!lightbulb

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 48
This is the only compelling reason that I can think of. If you are using the reticle for hold over and wind correction instead of dialing and mirage is too great for full power, then you can power down and still use the reticle for making the windage and elevation adjustment. If you always dial then there is no reason for ffp.

Steve

Another reason not to have some insanely high power max magnification.

For years people have hunted with moderate powered SFP scopes without issue.

Most times being rational trumps being cool...

Look at the scopes used in F-Class. NF Comp 15-55 and a host of others.....All 2nd FP. If I was going to run a FFP scope it would have one of the best ranging reticles available in the scope I chose.gun)............................:)

Incorrect. Top two scopes I have seen are Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25x56 DT P4 and Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27×56. Both of which are FFP

Another reason not to have some insanely high power max magnification.

For years people have hunted with moderate powered SFP scopes without issue.

Most times being rational trumps being cool...
Just because they did something a certain way "for years" does not mean a newer way with better technology is not a better option. For years I hunted with a fixed 3x scope as a kid. I would never go back to that. With that rationale they would still be blood letting for everything. Good job on being progressive and flexible.
Be open minded. Find a way to try out a good FFP optic. If you need the forum to convince you it is a waste of time. Look at pros vs cons. I have more SFP optics on my weapons but I will never buy another. For me the
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27×56 is the top tier of FFP that I will go. Not only in price but quality. Lifetime guarantee=what's not to like?

Like some have said, it would depend on the application.

Tactical Precision Shooting requires a lot of variables that wont allow a single setting to work with when using a SFP scope. Take a moving target using the reticle for lead, a FFP scope will work on any setting, unlike a SFP that would require the scope to be set at it's highest setting.

Same for ranging or a missed shot on anything but its highest setting using a SFP scope. I can't tell you how many times I've had to dial down to find a target and shoot quickly on whatever it was at, and I mostly use a 3-12 scope even though I have a 5-25. To me the 25x is really too powerful for an easy eye box and stay behind it off the stock when in a rush and yet I've never felt under powered by using a 12x either.

For the record I've shot with a few of the members of team GAP over the last two years. Even though they were running more magnification, their glass wouldn't allow them to find a "hidden target" in the sage brush this year at the JC Steel Target Challenge. So don't think of magnification as the answer to sight picture and what you'll see....... or not see.

Sub tensions become compressed at lower powers and make that feature unusable in my experience. Also, reticle thickness is too great for liking at the other end of the power range. So I have one, but no more.

Just because they did something a certain way "for years" does not mean a newer way with better technology is not a better option. For years I hunted with a fixed 3x scope as a kid. I would never go back to that. With that rationale they would still be blood letting for everything. Good job on being progressive and flexible.
Be open minded. Find a way to try out a good FFP optic. If you need the forum to convince you it is a waste of time. Look at pros vs cons. I have more SFP optics on my weapons but I will never buy another. For me the
Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27×56 is the top tier of FFP that I will go. Not only in price but quality. Lifetime guarantee=what's not to like?

WRONG!!!! You're taking my point and driving it to an extreme. 99.9999999% of the folks on here will never shoot in a combat situation. The only arguments for FFP in my opinion apply to combat or tactical shooting competitions. For a hunting rifle you aren't going to be hopelessly hamstrung without a FFP scope. I'd argue a FFP reticle equipped spotter matching the MOA/MIL of the shooters rifle would be far more useful.

Perhaps dealing with multiple shot opportunity pest control (hogs/coyotes) some of the tactical/combat benefits might be beneficial but again I've been able to take multiply Coyotes with my lowly moderate power SFP scopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
I think it all comes down to application and personal preference.

lightbulbIt don't get no simpler than that!lightbulb
FFPs might have been initially/primarily designed for military applications (like many scope designs) but it's not inherently used for combat situations only/anymore, esp. now that it is made commercially available.

Most of us adapted it for civilian sector usage and used them accordingly on specific applications -- but mostly due in part of personal preference, justifiable or not.

Isn't having choices great! :cool::Dgun)

Absolutely. Choices are great! There's no reason to look down upon those who choose not to spend the extra for the absolute top of the line and En Vogue when a more moderate option is likely to be adequate for their application.

WRONG!!!! You're taking my point and driving it to an extreme. 99.9999999% of the folks on here will never shoot in a combat situation. The only arguments for FFP in my opinion apply to combat or tactical shooting competitions. For a hunting rifle you aren't going to be hopelessly hamstrung without a FFP scope. I'd argue a FFP reticle equipped spotter matching the MOA/MIL of the shooters rifle would be far more useful.

Perhaps dealing with multiple shot opportunity pest control (hogs/coyotes) some of the tactical/combat benefits might be beneficial but again I've been able to take multiply Coyotes with my lowly moderate power SFP scopes.

Well what is wrong with extrapolation to make a point? Not sure if you have been in a combat situation but I never used a scope with that high a mag. Iron's or reflex was all I had.
I have never had a spotter hunting either. I was it.
The point is that most FFP are higher end optics with a higher price. It depends on your pocketbook and POU. Personally I will never buy another SFP. I have used plenty of them but I like FFP more and don't need to use barska, BSA, tasco etc. I only want to use optics that work for my POU.
I own a Nikon on my ar that is SFP, multiple 22's, 270 etc with SFP. But my long range Rem 700 is Vortex Gen II4-27x56 MOA (FFP) because it is what I want to use and I like how it works at 500-1000yards.
Will I get rid of the SFP that I have? Not unless I come into a LARGE amount of money. SFP has worked for me in the past and will continue to in certain applications. But the OP wanted intel which I provided. And I personally like FFP better now that the optics have improved with it.
SFP is not a deal breaker but there is no reason not to get FFP if you like how it works and have the $$.

Didn't all the technology we use for modern hunting originate in military use? I prefer FFP now that I've used both, but that doesn't make SFP useless, anymore than my bolt-action repeater makes a flintlock muzzle-loader useless. That used to be an "assault" weapon back around 1776... Use what you like.
Some FFP's are better thought out than others, and one of the negatives frequently cited is "can't see the reticle detail at low mag, but it covers too much target at high mag". The scope I like best (within MY budget) is Vortex Viper HSLR FFP, MOA version. At max mag the center of the reticle is a dot subtending 0.45 MOA, which doesn't cover anything I am going to shoot at, and for closer shots at 4x I don't need the details, so not seeing them doesn't cause any difficulty and the main beams of the reticle are quite prominent and serve very well. Again, use what you like.

Nope. Never been in a combat situation and hope to God I never am. Today is a great day to give thanks to those who have. Fortunately most of us never will need to either and I think it's misguided for an average civilian to pick a hunting scope based on the demands of combat. Not much different than buying a Humvee as a grocery getter :)

Quality of glass is a whole different argument. As you said SFP is not a deal breaker and people should use what they like and feel comfortable with. I don't have a problem with someone else wanting to be tacticool it's just not my thing. I just choose to be moderate in most everything in life. The problem with standing in the middle of the road is you get have to watch traffic going both ways.

Happy Memorial Day and thanks for your service.

Nope. Never been in a combat situation and hope to God I never am. Today is a great day to give thanks to those who have. Fortunately most of us never will need to either and I think it's misguided for an average civilian to pick a hunting scope based on the demands of combat. Not much different than buying a Humvee as a grocery getter :)

Quality of glass is a whole different argument. As you said SFP is not a deal breaker and people should use what they like and feel comfortable with. I don't have a problem with someone else wanting to be tacticool it's just not my thing. I just choose to be moderate in most everything in life. The problem with standing in the middle of the road is you get have to watch traffic going both ways.

Happy Memorial Day and thanks for your service.
Thanks.
For me FFP (The Vortex) is an excellent optic that works better then any scope I have used. I have looked through some others but at low mag it is easy to see the reticle and at long range it works fantastic. I understand the issues with older early versions of FFP and had the same concerns. In fact it wasn't until I found this one that I became a convert. I always advise to go and use or at least look through them before going along with internet sheeple speak.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.