Talk me into a FFP scope if you can.

I am all for asking questions to learn but it is amazing that a guy wants to shoot 1000 yds and don't know what differences there are between the scopes. It annoys me that someone just don't google it and be able to read a ton of info instead of asking the question here and sometimes starting guys arguing. It s almost like the guys that start a fight in bars and sit back and watch it

I am all for asking questions to learn but it is amazing that a guy wants to shoot 1000 yds and don't know what differences there are between the scopes. It annoys me that someone just don't google it and be able to read a ton of info instead of asking the question here and sometimes starting guys arguing. It s almost like the guys that start a fight in bars and sit back and watch it

LMAO
My 9mm is better or as good as your 45!!!!:D:rolleyes:

I guess you missed the title and how politely he asked ...

Am looking at shooting 1000 yards. Why do I need a FFP scope. Isn't the reticle at low power too fine? Please educate me.

How do you know he does not already shoot that range with SFP or did not google the information? Perhaps he was looking for immediate feedback and interaction from fellow LRH members with hands on experiences to share -- I too am a fan of google, but interaction it does not have. :D

One thing I learned early on here is that there is always somebody that is far more knowledgeable than I am and has far more experiences than I do, most of which are always willing and able to help. Having said that, I have the utmost respect for them and pay very closed attention on their advices and recommendations ... and I am still learning a lot from them to date. :cool:

What does he has to do with guys arguing?

lightbulbDid your post help any? lightbulb

RELAX! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Am looking at shooting 1000 yards. Why do I need a FFP scope. Isn't the reticle at low power too fine? Please educate me.

Only you can decide if FFP is something you need. There really isn't a need for FFP to shoot at 1K. I see SFP scopes at 1K BR comps exclusively. As was said.....if you rely on fast /accurate holdovers or windage...then it's probably a good deal. I'm switching over so that everything is matched.....reticles to turrets...no matter the magnification....YMMV.

As you've seen.....there's a following for either side of your question. You are going to get the full spectrum of opinions and ultimately it's up to you to decide. I would recommend finding someone that has a FFP scope that you can spend some time behind....then you can see if it's something you can use.

UKA, I do know the difference between the two types of scopes. What I wonder about is why people that don't know how to correctly use the English language would show their ignorance by typing on a website where everyone can see.:)

To clarify: FFP is neither 'new' nor is it a sign of 'high quality'. It's simply placing the reticle in a different part of the scope. It was the standard practice in European made scopes for a very long time, but even Europeans have switched over, for the most part, to SFP.

A good 90% of scopes sold worldwide are SPF. FFP has one real advantage and that is that your reticle stadiaii subtend the same at all magnifications. All other advantages go to SFP. This becomes even more true the further you depart from 3x zoom ranges.

Use what makes you happy. Familiarity with your equipment ,and the frequent application thereof, both trump the placement of the reticle in the optical system, and in spades.

Sfp scopes can call corrections at different powers too. A 6-24 will have easily remembered values at 6x, 12x, and of course 24x. A ffp requires no remembering what power you're on, but ALL the other advantages go to sfp IMO.

Sfp scopes can call corrections at different powers too. A 6-24 will have easily remembered values at 6x, 12x, and of course 24x. A ffp requires no remembering what power you're on, but ALL the other advantages go to sfp IMO.

Yes, with added math. If you're dialing down its not a quick turn until you have the sight picture you want, you have to make sure its exactly at the power you're doing the math for and even then who's to say your magnification is really what the numbers on your tube tell you it is?

The draw to FFP is not verifying your power is exactly where it needs to be or making sure you do the right math (simple or not).

I'm still on the fence on which I'd prefer for various uses - Only have one FFP scope for now and I'll make future decisions based on how useful i do or don't find it. For 1000 yard range work SFP seems like the right choice to me.

I guess you missed the title and how politely he asked ...

How do you know he does not already shoot that range with SFP or did not google the information? Perhaps he was looking for immediate feedback and interaction from fellow LRH members with hands on experiences to share -- I too am a fan of google, but interaction it does not have. :D

One thing I learned early on here is that there is always somebody that is far more knowledgeable than I am and has far more experiences than I do, most of which are always willing and able to help. Having said that, I have the utmost respect for them and pay very closed attention on their advices and recommendations ... and I am still learning a lot from them to date. :cool:

What does he has to do with guys arguing?

lightbulbDid your post help any? lightbulb

RELAX! :rolleyes:

Psyco - Lighten up Francis - YouTube

guys are arguing over his post. did you read the entire thread

UKA, I do know the difference between the two types of scopes. What I wonder about is why people that don't know how to correctly use the English language would show their ignorance by typing on a website where everyone can see.:)
see how you like to start fights? if you were so smart you would not be asking dumb questions that could be easily answered without having guys argue over whose scopes are better about combat etc. now you have lured me into arguing which was the main reason for your post

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.