Talk me into/out of FFP for hunting

Each SFP scope has a power setting at which your sub tensions have a known value if you're anting to use the scope for elevation and wind adjustments and it isn't always on full power.
You know the power number is usually significantly off, right? How do you reconcile that?

I prefer ffp over sfp for all matters of shooting and hunting. My scope has illumination but I've only ever used it once and didn't think much of it. I keep my scope set on 5 x and that's plenty if I need to snap a shot off in a hurry

This season I hunted more dark timber than normal. I have been using FFP for the last several seasons. I just bought a 2nd FP for what I really consider my do it all rifle. It's not the one I'll take when I think I might have to shoot past 500 YDS but it's the most versatile of the bunch. The way I see it those long opportunities usually aren't snap shots. There is time to do something like put the scope on the right power to get the hash marks to equate, or even to dial the scope to the correction, which is something I always do for elevation anyway. I wanted a reticle that didn't diminish to nothing at lowest power to faster acquire an elk at 50-100 YDS in the woods.

Though I have not ever seen data on this- I now have two very similar scopes, one in FFP and one in 2FP and I swear that optically the second FP scope is better. I don't know if there is any science to support what I think I am seeing, and they are not truly apples to apples models but both clarity and parallax are better in 2nd FP.

I only use FFP anymore, but illumination is a must in my book. A good reticle with good illumination eliminates any concerns I've ever had or seen regarding picking up the reticle on an animal no matter the magnification level. Enjoy your new scope, I'm ordering the Toric 4-20x50 today!

5 min before last legal light, animal in the shadows, (BIG ANIMAL!!!!) nerves, and lack of time to adjust, and you need to find the crosshairs on low power....oh, and the critical part, old (er) eyes...rsbhunter

It all depends on the scope and reticle combination on both ends of the magnification. I had the same concern as most folks when considering FFP, but I don't anymore. I am running a NF NX8 and have yet to use illumination.
This ☝🏽

I have "old eyes" too and all my optics are FFP. The reticle has to be designed correctly though - bold outer stadia wires and finer inside. Outer dissappears when you zoom in and the opposite when you zoom out. I prefer a good mil tree but not Horus complicated. I also prefer a fine center dot rather than a cross.

A FFP reticle will cover no more of the target at 15x as it does at 3x. So your fears of not being able to see an animal at max magnification is unfounded, unless you are shooting field mice at 1000 yards. Not a joke, we have shot squirrels at 741, 852, and 1201 with FFP scopes.
Your fears of not being able to see the reticle at min magnification depends on your eyes and the reticle. It is basically a fine crosshair at min. If you can see a fine crosshair SFP, you will be fine.

Rocks are at 741 yards
3x
View attachment 336801
10x
View attachment 33680315x
View attachment 336804
20x
View attachment 336805
24x
View attachment 336806
This is at 545, on 24x, and is a truer representation of what your eyes see when looking through the scope.
View attachment 336812
Target is at 200 yards.
3x
View attachment 336813
10x
View attachment 336814
24x
View attachment 336816
Lance,

What scope/reticle is that?

Thanks,

John