Talk me out of getting Swarovski EL 10x42’s

So I'm updating alot of my gear this year, new pack, gun, etc. a lot has to do with weight savings but also newer technology. I'm looking at new binoculars and thinking I'll just bite the bullet this time and get the Swaro EL 10x42's. In the past I've always used a separate rangefinder since technology seems to change more often on them and they don't last forever. Should I reconsider that? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

As others have said Swaro,Lieca and Ziess are at the top. If it were me though I would go with the Lieca 3000 Geovids and have the best of both worlds. I think you would not have to upgrade again that way.

So I'm updating alot of my gear this year, new pack, gun, etc. a lot has to do with weight savings but also newer technology. I'm looking at new binoculars and thinking I'll just bite the bullet this time and get the Swaro EL 10x42's. In the past I've always used a separate rangefinder since technology seems to change more often on them and they don't last forever. Should I reconsider that? Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Well...i would say no one is trying to talk you out of buying the binos you eventually choose.....looks like we all want to help you spend those greens........

Well...i would say no one is trying to talk you out of buying the binos you eventually choose.....looks like we all want to help you spend those greens........

Fair enough. I spent some of those greens today on the non RF Swaro EL 10x42. I've wanted those binocs for years and finally ordered some up. I appreciate all the great opinions and feedback on this. In the end, I just kept coming back to how many rangefinders I've had that have either become obsolete or just quit working. Atleast for now, I'm going to keep the binocs and RF separate. For those of you who have the RF binos, they actually sound like they're really working well for you. It just wasn't for me at this time.

The Swarovski El's are the best. I hunt with the 8 by 30 SLC 's and I'm completely satisfied. You should consider the added eight of the rangefinder which can become a factor if you do a lot of glassing. Otherwise having the rangefinder in the binoculars can be incredibly convenient.

I've been using Swaro EL 10x42's for quite a few years. Being closer to 60 than 50, I made the decision a couple years ago to start lightening the load; lighter weight Crispi's, a new 338 Edge with a CF barrel, lighter pack, etc. The final piece of the puzzle was a new set of EL 10x32's. They're awesome bino's. If weight is a concern, I'd check them out with yer 10x42's and see what you think...

I think keeping your optics and rangefinders separate is wise; optics last a lifetime, electronics continually get better. We have the 10x42 ELs and love them; the others mentioned are very fine as well. Enjoy!

I went through the same decision process and ended up with the SLC 10x42. I have a Leica 1600 rangefinder already so spending extra didn't make sense to me at the time. Now, fast forward 6 months and my hunting mate has bought the ELR 10x42 and I must admit that side by side on the mountain the ELR are a joy to look through and have slightly better colour definition/pop (in my eyes) whereas the SLC colour appears flatter. The ELR rangefinder will also range further than my Leica. You can't go wrong with the SLC (I have been seeing a lot more animals since upgrading from another brand), however, I've not looked through a better bino than the ELR.

I went with the EL12x50 non RF as the RF in any bino has a slight shade tint to it so the LED display will appear. I use a Sig 2400 or G7BR2 for range. I had the 10x, 12x, and 15x, and settled on the 12x for the best of all worlds. I have HDB 10x42's and as someone stated I find a bit of blur around the edges but the ballistic solutions are good to ~800 yards. They are a pain to program, the software is kind of stupid unless you have a laptop and WIFI in the field. The Meopta's B1 are very close to the Swaro EL's and much, much cheaper, they make the spotters for Nightforce so you know they are good.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.