Talk me out of epoxy scope rings

On some of the large magnums guys add a ring or 2 , on the scope mnt. Noticed this on DE rifles

For what it might be worth;

I've used Talley one piece rings for years.

Briefly, here's what I do: The bases get mounted to the rifle with a SMALL drop of blue loctite between the receiver and base plus a tiny bit on the screws. While loose I set the clean lapping bar in the rings to align. Tighten the base screws and then lap the bases until 75% or more has been cut. When done lapping, clean everything and wipe the lapped area and the caps with solvent such as brake cleaner; you must remove ALL oils and residue. Position the scope and put a SMALL drop (smaller than before. I use a toothpick to apply as too much will be put down directly from the tube) on the cap. DO NOT put it on the lapped base as you won't be able to remove the scope later without prying on the scope itself. Bad JuJu. Install the caps and torque to 15 in/lb. and let it set for a day.

I've mounted a number of scopes this way and have never had them move. A friend has a .416 Rigby (why he has this, I dunno) I would rather get hit by a bus than shoot this thing. Anyhow, the scope on this gun is one of the first I mounted this way about 15 years ago and the scope has not moved. If and when one need to remove the scope, it will come right out of the bases and a light tap on the CAP will separate it if it doesn't come loose with finger pressure.

my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.