Talk me into/out of FFP for hunting

Snowbird

I'm looking at purchasing the Tract Toric 2.5-15X44 FFP for my mid to long range hunting rifle but have some reservations about FFP scopes. I've been satisfied with SFP in the past but realize the benefit of having my reticle mean something at all magnifications. My concern is being able to see my cross hairs at low power and seeing the target/animal at high power. Without illumination are you SOL at low power in low light?

I have a 3-15x ffp on my hunting rifle. I carry it at 3x…and parallax set on 100yds. I put the illumination on at dawn and dusk usually. Basically, I know 50 yards and under, I may get a fast offhand shot. The FFP gives me a nice red crosshair at these low magnification ranges. Perfect for a quick offhand shot. To shoot 100yds, I dial it up to 6x.

On a longer shot, i take the time to adjust magnification, parallax, and elevation turret….I hold windage.

I guess I'm saying…that most "can't see the reticle complaints" dont seem directed at the 50yd shots you are looking to take at 3-5x.

I looked at the scope….I'd email and request what it looks like at 2.5x and make my decision from there.

Last edited:
I personally don't have any issues with ffp at lower magnification, even in low light.
If you're hunting in timber shooting in low light with a black reticle it's going to be indistinguishable no matter the focal plane.
Illumination looks good on paper but I find that it effects my low light vision enough to cancel out any benefit.
Basically if it's getting dark don't frigging shoot..

I'm looking at purchasing the Tract Toric 2.5-15X44 FFP for my mid to long range hunting rifle but have some reservations about FFP scopes. I've been satisfied with SFP in the past but realize the benefit of having my reticle mean something at all magnifications. My concern is being able to see my cross hairs at low power and seeing the target/animal at high power. Without illumination are you SOL at low power in low light?
Seeing the crosshairs at low power really isn't an issue. The big issue I have with FFP scopes is that it gets pretty difficult to sort things out at high power unless it's a really simple, clean reticle.

I prefer SFP, much simpler and if you're not hung up on using the scope as a range finder there's no reason to go to FFP. Generally FFP is going to also be more expensive than a comparable SFP scope.

If you want the option of using a ballistic reticle for holdovers, FFP is the only way to go in my opinion. In the heat of the moment it's too easy to have a SFP at the wrong magnification, resulting in the ballistic reticle being significantly off.

The reticle does get small at low magnification, but I don't usually shoot at lower than 7 or 8x, which has the reticle plenty bold for my old eyes.

My reticles are illuminated, wouldn't have it any other way for early and late. I think any scope, ffp or sfp, can struggle with crosshairs fading away in the first and last 5 minutes of daylight. The best illuminated reticles have adjustments to dial the brightness up or down so its not so bright that it blows out your natural low light vision at dusk or dawn, or you can crank it up during full daylight and still be visible.

Last edited:
At low power you should not be looking for the actual intersection of the (thin) crosshairs. You want to be looking at the visual intersection of the thick outer posts. You do not need to see the fine crosshairs in the middle or any graduations, and this is what throws people off when thinking about hunting with a FFP reticle. The center of the crosshairs is still the center.

I am on the fence with all this SFP-FFP stuff.
I have made do with SFP scopes.Isn't it true that say a 4x16 SFP scope will have half the subtension at x8 ?

This thread and several others has got me really researching the FFP scene. I want one, but don't think i truly need one until my skills and funds allow me to get in the ELR scene.

I rely on MPBR and don't fiddle with much until 450-500 yards. Basic hold over skills work well here.

Personally, I love x3 in the timber, and x18 is plenty out to my current cartridges "clean kill" abilities.

I also prefer illuminated reticles, don't need them for most situations but when I do, I got them.

The real stinker is that as soon as I see a reticle I like it's MRAD. I know it's already been mentioned that it's not that hard to change over,
I just don't want too🙄

Isn't it true that say a 4x16 SFP scope will have half the subtension at x8 ?

No it is the opposite.

1moa/mil at 16x SFP = 2moa/mil at 8x SFP because the reticle remains constant in relation to the viewers perspective, but the image changes bigger or smaller by zooming in/out.

Last edited: