Talk me into/out of FFP for hunting

Anything is possible I guess, but in all my years of hunting I have never had this happen. Am I in the minority or lucky to have great eye sight? Doubt it.
I guess the point I am attempting to make is that illumination is not required with a FFP scope. With that said, most of my scopes have illumination mode available…just never had to use it .

If I was buying a sfp scope, which one day I'll get a couple bought to replace other scopes for short range work(0-300 yards), I would get an illuminated plex/German #4 reticle.
In my opinion there is no reason to have fancy or busy reticles on a sfp scope for hunting short range.

But for mid to long range(which the term long range is subjective to the person shooting on how far they are comfortable shooting to) I'd definitely do a FFP but would have to have illumination. I used illumination several times hunting with my FFP scoped deer rifle.

Last edited:
Anything is possible I guess, but in all my years of hunting I have never had this happen. Am I in the minority or lucky to have great eye sight? Doubt it.
I'd say you're fortunate. In low light an animal standing in a shadow is a great way to lose your crosshiar especially on really dark animals like hogs and bears.

I've had to loan my rifle to others attempting to shoot Kudu and Eland as well as waterbuck standing in heavy cover for that very reason. That's why all of the rifles I take to Africa wear a Trijicon with the green tritium illumination dot.

I am on the fence with all this SFP-FFP stuff.
I have made do with SFP scopes.Isn't it true that say a 4x16 SFP scope will have half the subtension at x8 ?

This thread and several others has got me really researching the FFP scene. I want one, but don't think i truly need one until my skills and funds allow me to get in the ELR scene.

I rely on MPBR and don't fiddle with much until 450-500 yards. Basic hold over skills work well here.

Personally, I love x3 in the timber, and x18 is plenty out to my current cartridges "clean kill" abilities.

I also prefer illuminated reticles, don't need them for most situations but when I do, I got them.

The real stinker is that as soon as I see a reticle I like it's MRAD. I know it's already been mentioned that it's not that hard to change over,
I just don't want too🙄
Each manufacturer is different and most scopes have an indicator on the power ring telling you at what power the subtensions are accurate.

Best to check your model scope with the manufacturer to be sure.

Generally if I'm having to hold over and don't have time to dial I just do the math in my head using body height or dimensions.

I big WT buck is about 20" from withers to sternum just behind the elbo etc.

If I was buying a sfp scope, which one day I'll get a couple bought to replace other scopes for short range work(0-300 yards), I would get an illuminated plex/German #4 reticle.
In my opinion there is no reason to have fancy or busy reticles on a sfp scope for hunting short range.

But for mid to long range(which the term long range is subjective to the person shooting on how far they are comfortable shooting to) I'd definitely do a FFP but would have to have illumination. I used illumination several times hunting with my FFP scoped deer rifle.
I really like the German Post I have in my Trijicon scopes. super clean and really fast for acquisition.

Nothing to disagree with there boss, I was just stating that I litterally never use it. Didn't say it wasn't worth it. I generally only buy optics with illumination even though I don't use it. Mainly cause of resale, and if I'm in the bush it helps, but I don't coyotes in the bush so it's never used on my rig.
I should have worded it better. Different POV or use case instead of disagree.

My night vision seems worse than when I was young. Blood oxygen is good, take a daily multivitamin, still can't see the same detail in dark areas I once could. Acuity (sharpness) is still good but I probly oughta schedule a checkup with an opthalmologist.

Scopes without an illuminated reticle don't work for me. Don't have a NV scope, don't hunt hogs. Just can't make out the reticle against a darker background in too many legal conditions. Early morning, last light, dark overcast. Second or FFP. Every illuminated reticle scope I've actually looked through (not that many) the dimmest illumination level snaps the reticle out against a dark background without being too bright.

FFP scopes with fine reticles (good for magnification beyond about 10X IME) tend to be too fine at lower mag levels, even in mid-day light. Light the reticle up; it's a clear crosshair. Unlit, if I strain some and against a darker background, wiggle the rifle around, maybe I can make it out. Wait & wiggle: Great way to miss a shot.

Not the same case for everybody. Matt, may you never need illumination but if matters change, sounds like many of your scopes provide it. Keep fresh batteries in 'em just in case. ;~)

I'm looking at purchasing the Tract Toric 2.5-15X44 FFP for my mid to long range hunting rifle but have some reservations about FFP scopes. I've been satisfied with SFP in the past but realize the benefit of having my reticle mean something at all magnifications. My concern is being able to see my cross hairs at low power and seeing the target/animal at high power. Without illumination are you SOL at low power in low light?
If you are hunting in heavy woods with shots mainly being 30 yards to.100 yards I would want SFP with a set Parallax..(No Knob).M I st shots do t have alit of time to jack with dialing anything
If you are hunting where most shots would b e 75 yards to 900 yards I'd go with FFP

I'm looking at purchasing the Tract Toric 2.5-15X44 FFP for my mid to long range hunting rifle but have some reservations about FFP scopes. I've been satisfied with SFP in the past but realize the benefit of having my reticle mean something at all magnifications. My concern is being able to see my cross hairs at low power and seeing the target/animal at high power. Without illumination are you SOL at low power in low light?
Given you don't already own an FFP, you should give one a try and decide for yourself. As you can see, some like FFP, some don't, and some don't care. Keep the reticle simple, avoiding too much clutter, and and don't go to the extremes in selecting reticle thickness-weight... IMO, much of the drama associated with short and long range disparity tends to be overstated. The greatest attribute of the FFP for medium/LR hunting is the use of magnification to both acquire your game/target, and, choosing the magnification/sight picture that feels right for the shot…. Without having to worry about loosing the use of your reticle substention for elevation, windage, etc.

I think over time you will see SFP become a Novelty.
With the advancement of glass and Reticle's and Illumination why would you want a reticle with no practical use other than max power. I can see fixed power scopes being more practicality for anyone shooting inside 300yds.

I think over time you will see SFP become a Novelty.
With the advancement of glass and Reticle's and Illumination why would you want a reticle with no practical use other than max power. I can see fixed power scopes being more practicality for anyone shooting inside 300yds.
No practical use? Have you got any idea how many successful kills and wins in competition have been achieved with SFP scopes?

Each SFP scope has a power setting at which your sub tensions have a known value if you're anting to use the scope for elevation and wind adjustments and it isn't always on full power.

Unless you're using the scope as a range finder FFP offers no real advantage.

Well Yes I agree but that was the only game in town for a very long time.
Now with FFP I can use everything my scope has to offer at any power.
The only drawback I hear is I cannot see my reticle as good as I would like at the lowest power well if your target is less than 50 yds center it and shoot but in saying that you can have illuminated reticle as well