Do you shoot suppressed?

• Total voters
Avoid these people, they are misinforming you out of ignorance of the subject.

You have come to the right place for sound advice.
Agreed. I can't believe the advice the OP was given. You absolutely damage your ears. Also POI change?!? Lol I guess that's why guys in shooting competitions are mainly using cans…

Im all for cans but have yet to purchase one. You mentioned shooting 700-1000yds. In my experience you'll have more than enough time to put some earpons in or pull muffs on at that kindof range.
If I was planning to shoot animals at that range I would be more concerned with getting the shot placement (dope) correct and reading wind.
Also at that range my main concern would be bullet performance. Most cartridges perform better with longer barrels and putting a can on a 26-30" barrel is not hunting friendly.
Again I'm all for cans all the time but when shooting game at stated ranges you will have time to put muffs on.

I don't run a can, but have shot with them in the past during training exercises. At my stage of hearing loss I can't justify the cost. I pretty much have to run muffs and better yet electronic muffs and plugs. If you have decent hearing and can swing the cost then I'd highly suggest getting one. From what I see it costs about the same as one quality firearm.

Last edited:
I hunt both with and without a suppressor. The decision on which to choose is situational for me. If my hunting situation is for shorter range shots, I will likely opt for suppressed. I mostly don't add/ remove suppressors during big game season, just swap weapons for closer work. I wear in the ear electronic hearing protection while hunting regardless. I generally would not shoot my larger centerfire suppressed rifles without hearing protection as they are still above safe hearing levels. (Not as bad as with a brake and no hearing protection by any means though) If I thought I was going to be shooting at 700-1000 yds then I would count on having time to set up the shot, including adding hearing protection if I wasn't already wearing it.
I think having suppressors and being able to have options is a good thing. If you get one, I would suggest getting something that will work on a wide range of platforms and then you can swap it around and see what works for you individually. The paperwork for suppressors has gotten easier to deal with but I think the wait times are still insane. The wait times may get worse if Biden's/ATFs current AR pistol rule moves forward so if you're thinking about taking the leap, now maybe a good time.

I have had them ever since they became legal in MN and use them EVERY opportunity I can. My hearing is mostly gone and with 6 little granddaughters now hearing aids are forthcoming. Surprisingly turned my 30 Nosler into a little 243, the brake on that was unbearable. Just wished they were allowed in F-Class competition as that's about 2000 rounds a season. Stay safe, Eric in DL

Attachments

• IMG_90151.jpg
    IMG_90151.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20190601_115714962.jpg
    IMG_20190601_115714962.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20221009_093451.jpg
    20221009_093451.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Got my Dead Air Primal out of jail in April. Wish I had done it years ago. I had my Sav Mod 12 300 WSM threaded several years ago and a brake installed by WTO. It was my prep for the can. I really thought the brake was awesome except for the sound and concussion coming from the brake. Heck mine is a 26" tube and I still got some slight blow back. The one thing I have noticed with the can is it took a little time to get past the sound and blast. Once I got used to the quietness and as far as I can tell equal or less recoil reduction, oh my gosh! My can weighs right at 16oz. Several of my friends thought it would just be to heavy for hunting, well my entire rig is around 14.5 lbs and I honestly don't feel it. Out of mind out of sight for this mid 60's guy. The benefits of protecting what little hearing I have left in my left ear and all the hearing I have in my right ear is worth every ounce. POI did change, but only by 1.5 MOA. Still shoots lights out after all those rounds. Plus all my buddies now don't mind going to shoot with me and the howitzer and I've got several of them about to pull the trigger on some Primal cans as well! It's contagious!!

Attachments

• Oryx_Primal.jpg
    Oryx_Primal.jpg
    882.8 KB · Views: 29
I shoot suppressed, and love it. Just bear in mind, as ranges increase the suppressor negatively affects accuracy. At most ranges hunters are shooting it won't be a problem. But as you reach further out it can start to be an issue, and at great distances I can't recommend them. But I'm a precision shooter, so I maybe more fussy than most.

OP listed a bunch of rumors about suppressors so I'm glad this group can clear those things up.
I've hunted and used suppressors for a few years now. I hunt mountains and have long barrels. I'm still on the fence about them for hunting.
POI shift from suppressed and unsuppressed is inevitable but doesn't matter if you always have the suppressor on.
There are lots of ways to use ear protection with brakes without have to wear them all day. I use the plastic barbed ear plugs on a lanyard around my neck and can pop them in super quick for fast shots. Still, using a suppressor in the woods beats messing with ear plugs. For long range use where you probably have a bit more time to prepare the shot, I think the advantage goes to the brake for more recoil reduction and less weight/length.
Varmint hunting, must have suppressor!!! Plus small bore cans are usually quite a bit cheaper.

Since I've put money into suppressors, I might as well use them. It would be a big waste of money to have them collect dust. I might go back to a break on my big 338 though. I defiantly feel the recoil more with a suppressor on that gun than a brake. Plus, the recoil impulse takes a bit of time to get used to.

I shoot suppressed, and love it. Just bear in mind, as ranges increase the suppressor negatively affects accuracy. At most ranges hunters are shooting it won't be a problem. But as you reach further out it can start to be an issue, and at great distances I can't recommend them. But I'm a precision shooter, so I maybe more fussy than most.
How?

I mostly shoot suppressed while hunting but sometimes an ultra lightweight gun without a suppressor is what I prefer. Took the break of my 338 Lapua and put a suppressor on it. It is so much more enjoyable to shoot with a suppressor than dealing with the blast from the break.
If you are setting up to take a long range shot, you have time to put hearing protection on. The close shots are where you may not have time to put on hearing protection.

I've found that some rifles will shoot better suppressed and others have groups open up when suppressed. It is all about harmonics and consistency with bullet velocities. The only real way to know is to try it both ways with each load.

I would like to get a suppressor, but which one of my rifles would I put it on? My perfect suppressor would be usable on all my rifles. I would work on everything from .224 on up to my .358. I don't have a .375 (yet). I talked to a manufacturer about making a universal can with interchangeable "guts" so it would be efficient for all calibers. He was not receptive to the idea at all. He gave me a song and dance about the ATF would consider every caliber a separate unit and it would be illegal. I disagree, but I'm not a lawyer. I still think that it would be a viable option to alleviate having to have multiple license's.