Shooting the "Magic Mile" with a 30 Cal.

Your going to have to be more specific than EVERY match. I don't even think anyone knows what type of match you are even referring to as people on here do many types of different matches.

Also you can make a match chamber in any cartridge so...there's that.
Every 1000 yard match that has accuracy records. Benchrest mostly since the point was accuracy and that would be the pinnacle of accuracy. That would be the most easy way to transition to the best or magic mile cartridge in 30 cal. The fact that the Win mag USED to be the gold standard and all it's records have been destroyed by the WSM would be a clear indicator of which would be better.
I know you can make a match reamer in any caliber. He said about the ability to shoot heavy bullets. The point was that with a custom throated reamer the WSM will do equal or more than the WIN mag will it isn't limited by bullet weight at all.

Every 1000 yard match that has accuracy records. Benchrest mostly since the point was accuracy and that would be the pinnacle of accuracy. That would be the most easy way to transition to the best or magic mile cartridge in 30 cal. The fact that the Win mag USED to be the gold standard and all it's records have been destroyed by the WSM would be a clear indicator of which would be better.
I know you can make a match reamer in any caliber. He said about the ability to shoot heavy bullets. The point was that with a custom throated reamer the WSM will do equal or more than the WIN mag will it isn't limited by bullet weight at all.

I don't care about what he said. I'm asking for validation of your statement to separate it from being a anecdotal statement in regards to matches and accuracy. So you are referring to bench rest matches, I'm assuming F class. Which means I'm out of that debate. I don't care one way or another about bench shooting, or what bench shooters do.

Yes 6.5's and 6's own records as well but we are talking 30 calibers as to the question the OP asked.
So the 300WSM wins. it's not very debatable.

Yes Benchrest, F class etc. when speaking of 30 cals you aren't going to beat the WSM in accuracy.

300WSM

My pet load and setup. 208ELDM @ 3023 FPS tested out too 2000 yards. It absolutely will do it. Have grouped 1/2 MOA at over a mile. And the pure accuracy and stability of the WSM is untouchable with any other 30 cal. don't believe me see how many other 30 cals have 1000 yard records??
And outstanding barrel life as well.

Of course I would have to choose my
Remington M40 700 Long Range Rifle
300 Remington Ultra Magnum with this Load
225gr. - ELD-MATCH - Bullet
103gr. - MAGNUM - Powder
9 1/2 M - Remington - Primer
3,100fps. - Velocity
0.730 - Ballistic Coefficient
3.645" - Cartridge Overall Length
I like my 308 Norma, but the 300 RUM will do more ! It has more powder capacity and can shoot at least a couple hundred FPS faster, thence it should shoot farther also ! I don't know much about the 300 Norma, but that may shoot farther yet !

The WSM is definitely the current dominant 30 cal in competition. http://pa1000yard.com/wo/choosewostandings.php
Check out the standings from the last few years for the Worlds. Granted this is just what they shot at Williamsport and guys will have certain guns they shoot at certain ranges but it does show 300 wsm as the popular 30, with 300 win and 300 weatherby in there also. I'm still a Win Mag fan but have considered a WSM build. I also think it's funny that they consider a 17 lbs rifle a "light gun"! Only thing I have at that weight or above is a 338 lapua, next closest is a 300 win at 15 lbs with ammo, optic, a bipod, sling, and suppressor.
And yes I know someone said the WSM has a bunch of records, not sure if that is accurate or not but these guys shoot whatever gives them the best shot at winning and most will tell you that anyone of them is capable of setting a new record.

Last edited:
World record or not,,, lots of the big bores along with a few of the mid size cartridges can do it... More of the fun thing for me a few years ago...

Koodoos to those that push the limits,,, I'm enjoying the fun plinking stuff in the 4 to 800 meter stuff,,, the 1700 was fun a few years ago,,, but it was alot of hit and miss with my old hands and mid size cases...

Its fun to read and see what's out there,,, good times fore sure...

No world recorders for me since I'm all about being lost in the forest,,, Old pipe covered in rust with chips and nicks on the worn down stock...

Life is simple when we get there you know...

Carry on since the next generation will surely lead the way in years to come.

I personally run a lever action 30-30 Win in most 1 mile + matches and it ****es a lot of 300 WSM and WM shooter off... especially when I ask if anyone saw my splash?

I personally run a lever action 30-30 Win in most 1 mile + matches and it ----es a lot of 300 WSM and WM shooter off... especially when I ask if anyone saw my splash?
LOL That would be classic to aim with a sextant !
45199.jpg

penn club is only 1 of three 1000 br orgs in the usa.
in '18 of the top 50 at penn worlds only 7 were 300 wsm...hardly dominant...tho you did limit your comment to 30's.
they changed their light to match the other 2 orgs
dominant was not the comment, records was, and all we got was one nearly 10 year old one that has been replaced multiple times.
simply on topic to his comment
again i shoot 600/1000 br not just words in the net.

I limited my comment to 30's because that's what the OP was asking about. Maybe I should have said the WSM is the most "commonly" used 30 instead of "dominant" 30 with the top ranking shooters. I also realize I'm using 1000 yard competition to qualify the WSM at a mile.
If you read everything I said I specifically said not sure about the record part and was simply trying to state the WSM is a good option, sorry you took this personally.
The guy who just won the Berger SW (FT-R) who I know very well shoots a 300 WSM and a 284, not sure which he shot at this comp(I'll ask him) but I'd bet it was his blue WSM as he only has the 284 for the ranges that have band the magnums.
Do you or anyone else have a link to what cartridges were used to set the current records? I've found who shot them, where and what the record is but not what cartridge set them. May be enlightening for choosing cartridges for future builds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts