ELR Shooting in the Black Hills

The new range opening north of Rapid City will be either 1000 or 1300 yards. I haven't heard an exact number yet. There are several spots around the hills that are easy to get to and safely shoot 500 to 800 yards. They are in the national forest so you do need to be aware of your surroundings as such and utilize a spotter. Use google earth and find where power lines cut through the forest to make shooting lanes.
Thank you. I live in the national forest and have thought about just setting up somewhere to shoot. There a spot just east of crow peak that I can get over a mile if I fire toward crow peak but it's a popular hiking location so I wasn't sure it was plausible. I'd be interested in the range north of Rapid City. Any solid info on that? I don't hVe Facebook or any other social media.

Also where does a guy register for these events? I can't seem to find them anywhere other than that list, like old FB posts or practiscore, nothing. Like even ELRSO website has 2021 events still.

Edit: I know it's likely to early to register I just thought I'd be able to dig up where registration is and such. maybe some old standings
you register at Practiscore..You can also call the person putting it on.Mostly I register annd pay at practiscorer

Thank you. I live in the national forest and have thought about just setting up somewhere to shoot. There a spot just east of crow peak that I can get over a mile if I fire toward crow peak but it's a popular hiking location so I wasn't sure it was plausible. I'd be interested in the range north of Rapid City. Any solid info on that? I don't hVe Facebook or any other social media.
Be aware you cannot shoot over marked NF roads. I would stay away from anything that hikers use.

Check it out here. It's a work in progress at this time. https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/southdakotashootingsportcomplex_booklet_spreads.pdf

Fall River Shooting complex has some 700 or 800 yard steel. On way 71 east of Hot Springs on 18 then North a couple miles on 71. Open to the public 5 days per week. Reasonable membership fee.

Fall River Shooting complex has some 700 or 800 yard steel. On way 71 east of Hot Springs on 18 then North a couple miles on 71. Open to the public 5 days per week. Reasonable membership fee.
Thank you. I'll have them a call and find out the details. The website isn't working very good. I appreciate the heads up.

The new range opening north of Rapid City will be either 1000 or 1300 yards. I haven't heard an exact number yet. There are several spots around the hills that are easy to get to and safely shoot 500 to 800 yards. They are in the national forest so you do need to be aware of your surroundings as such and utilize a spotter. Use google earth and find where power lines cut through the forest to make shooting lanes.
Is it legal to shoot on the power line? I would think that would raise some concerns. What I don't want to do is anything that will show long range shooters in a negative light.

Is it legal to shoot on the power line? I would think that would raise some concerns. What I don't want to do is anything that will show long range shooters in a negative light.
Legal to my understanding. It's legal to hunt power lines in the hills so legal to shoot recreationally as well. With all things related to our hobby, use common sense and safe practices. I avoid the "known" spots like Beretta Road and Government field due to their popularity with the Fudd crowd. In spite of the garbage left by some shooters, I feel the state actually likes spots like these as it keeps the mess more or less contained in a small area. My family and I have been shooting at a few spots in the hills for over 35 years now and you would never guess that they are regularly used as shooting ranges. Pack it in/pack it out. Keep your backstops secure. Have fun.

Legal to my understanding. It's legal to hunt power lines in the hills so legal to shoot recreationally as well. With all things related to our hobby, use common sense and safe practices. I avoid the "known" spots like Beretta Road and Government field due to their popularity with the Fudd crowd. In spite of the garbage left by some shooters, I feel the state actually likes spots like these as it keeps the mess more or less contained in a small area. My family and I have been shooting at a few spots in the hills for over 35 years now and you would never guess that they are regularly used as shooting ranges. Pack it in/pack it out. Keep your backstops secure. Have fun.
I appreciate the info. I'm fairly new to the hills after moving around all over the country with the military and chasing work. My family have finally found our place to settle. I live off of Tinton up in Spearfish and the only thing my soul has been missing for the past year is long range shooting. I'll pull up google earth and look for some power lines close by. I finished building my latest rifle this past summer so I'm ready to stretch it out and see what she can do.

PRC, welcome to the Black Hills. I've heard there is some good long range competition in the Gillette area. Personally, my long range shooting needs are prairie dogs over 500 yards away.

Does anyone know of any ELR range locations in the black hills of SoDak or Wyoming? I've heard that it is legal to shoot anywhere in the national forest but with the amount of hikers, cyclists, and off-roaders in the area, it may be hard to do that safely. The last thing I want is to have someone unexpectedly enter my field of fire.
If your fields on Fire...they should be able to see it...if they can't.. well..that would be on them!😉

I'd love to get some prairie dogs, looks like tons of fun. What is the protocol there? Is it basically finding a land owner that will allow you hunt? I'd like to go after so coyote as well.