ELR Shooting in the Black Hills

The new range opening north of Rapid City will be either 1000 or 1300 yards. I haven't heard an exact number yet. There are several spots around the hills that are easy to get to and safely shoot 500 to 800 yards. They are in the national forest so you do need to be aware of your surroundings as such and utilize a spotter. Use google earth and find where power lines cut through the forest to make shooting lanes.
Do you have any more information on this range? Do they have a website?

I appreciate the info. I'm fairly new to the hills after moving around all over the country with the military and chasing work. My family have finally found our place to settle. I live off of Tinton up in Spearfish and the only thing my soul has been missing for the past year is long range shooting. I'll pull up google earth and look for some power lines close by. I finished building my latest rifle this past summer so I'm ready to stretch it out and see what she can do.
So what caliber and action Is she

Does anyone know of any ELR range locations in the black hills of SoDak or Wyoming? I've heard that it is legal to shoot anywhere in the national forest but with the amount of hikers, cyclists, and off-roaders in the area, it may be hard to do that safely. The last thing I want is to have someone unexpectedly enter my field of fire.
There's a nice range right off of 79 between Buffalo Gap and the Hot Springs corner. Not sure it qualifies for "ELR" but there is steel out to 1000 yards. Shot there once a couple of years ago and I thought it was very clean and nice covered concrete benches etc. Definitely worth a look if you're in that area.

So what caliber and action Is she
It's not a very popular cartridge on this forum but for me it's a great caliber with the right bullet weight for deer, antelope, sheep, and elk. I built a 6.8 western on a impact precision titanium action and a bartlien carbon fiber barrel 1-7.5". Luckily, LRI is right down the road in Sturgis and I had them chamber it for me. Got the barrel back, put it in my vise and screwed the receiver on at 100ft/lbs. Laid everything in a Manners EH1 and topped it off with a March Compact 2.5-25x52 with the MTR-5 reticle. The whole package comes in right at 10 pounds and so far I've got 40 rounds down the tube. The factory ammo seems to be grouping great so far and I'm happy with my decisions.

Attachments

• 297C3231-A57B-4EAF-951E-54AB41A7B10C.jpeg
    297C3231-A57B-4EAF-951E-54AB41A7B10C.jpeg
    488 KB · Views: 25
  • BBE8D74B-776B-470C-B2DC-0CAE0B0C36E0.jpeg
    BBE8D74B-776B-470C-B2DC-0CAE0B0C36E0.jpeg
    954.4 KB · Views: 22
There's a nice range right off of 79 between Buffalo Gap and the Hot Springs corner. Not sure it qualifies for "ELR" but there is steel out to 1000 yards. Shot there once a couple of years ago and I thought it was very clean and nice covered concrete benches etc. Definitely worth a look if you're in that area.
I'll have to check that one out for sure. Any idea what the name is and if there's a membership?

The new range opening north of Rapid City will be either 1000 or 1300 yards. I haven't heard an exact number yet. There are several spots around the hills that are easy to get to and safely shoot 500 to 800 yards. They are in the national forest so you do need to be aware of your surroundings as such and utilize a spotter. Use google earth and find where power lines cut through the forest to make shooting lanes.
Glen watch for mail on/about 11/14. Thanks Lyle