Shooting the "Magic Mile" with a 30 Cal.

Of course I would have to choose my
Remington M40 700 Long Range Rifle
300 Remington Ultra Magnum with this Load
225gr. - ELD-MATCH - Bullet
103gr. - MAGNUM - Powder
9 1/2 M - Remington - Primer
3,100fps. - Velocity
0.730 - Ballistic Coefficient
3.645" - Cartridge Overall Length
Seat them out correctly and single feed or go to a Wyatts box

I don't understand your message, could you please amplify?
The bullets in the picture is seated way too deep in the case to get the max performance out of it, it has a long jump to the rifling and is using up powder capacity in the case.

Easily, my buddy ran the 230 Berger over 3,000 fps with IMR7828 if it is throated correctly(long) to seat the bullets where it should be. Also 30" tube

YouTube is loaded with videos of people shooting a mile with a .223, while it's not the best tool for the job, it is doable, you probably need a little less than a 200MOA rail

Last edited:
Is a WSM capable of give enough velocity for this shot?

My 28" 300wsm is about 30 fps slower than my 26" barreled 300 win mag and substantially more accurate as it should be being a custom job. It's Mote efficient as well. It uses a bit less powder.

300WSM

My pet load and setup. 208ELDM @ 3023 FPS tested out too 2000 yards. It absolutely will do it. Have grouped 1/2 MOA at over a mile. And the pure accuracy and stability of the WSM is untouchable with any other 30 cal. don't believe me see how many other 30 cals have 1000 yard records??

what records ? benchrest ? 300 win mag was THE STD HEAVY FOR A LONG TIME. nothing against a short mag..but it is a smaller case limits bullet weight.

You haven't paid attention for a while then.
The 300WSM has destroyed ever record that win mags have set at one point or another. If you go to a match now you aren't going to find a win mag on the line unless it's a REALLY old one. With longer custom throats the WSM does everything the WIN does and with more consistent accuracy. for 1000 yard shooting you pretty much only see fast 6's and 300WSM's that do all the winning for years now.

You haven't paid attention for a while then.
The 300WSM has destroyed ever record that win mags have set at one point or another. If you go to a match now you aren't going to find a win mag on the line unless it's a REALLY old one. With longer custom throats the WSM does everything the WIN does and with more consistent accuracy. for 1000 yard shooting you pretty much only see fast 6's and 300WSM's that do all the winning for years now.

Your going to have to be more specific than EVERY match. I don't even think anyone knows what type of match you are even referring to as people on here do many types of different matches.

Also you can make a match chamber in any cartridge so...there's that.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.