Shooting the "Magic Mile" with a 30 Cal.

penn club is only 1 of three 1000 br orgs in the usa.
in '18 of the top 50 at penn worlds only 7 were 300 wsm...hardly dominant...tho you did limit your comment to 30's.
they changed their light to match the other 2 orgs
dominant was not the comment, records was, and all we got was one nearly 10 year old one that has been replaced multiple times.
simply on topic to his comment
again i shoot 600/1000 br not just words in the net.
Of the 43 other top 50 how many of them are 30's??
My opinion on the WSM being what it is in the mile is based on the fact that it is the dominate 30 at 1000 when it comes to pure accuracy. The only argument that I would concede against it being the best 30 cal at a mile would be one that can out perform it in the velocity standpoint. So yes a 30 PRC or an RUM or a NORMA can run the same bullets faster. So even if they can't duplicate the same pure accuracy they "MIGHT" out do it with ballistics. But the WIN cannot out perform the WSM with the same weight bullets, and also cannot consistently achieve the same level of pure accuracy so it can't be BETTER for that given purpose it can only be something you personally like.

penn club is only 1 of three 1000 br orgs in the usa.
in '18 of the top 50 at penn worlds only 7 were 300 wsm...hardly dominant...tho you did limit your comment to 30's.
they changed their light to match the other 2 orgs
dominant was not the comment, records was, and all we got was one nearly 10 year old one that has been replaced multiple times.
simply on topic to his comment
again i shoot 600/1000 br not just words in the net.

Just curious, what are the average sizes of your 1,000yd 10 shot groups? In comp, have you ever shot a better 10 than the 300WSM record?

From personal experience, any given match can see various calibers/cartridges win, lose and set records to never be done again for sometime. I think this argument is rather petty and meaningless

Last edited:
let me ask this first and then i will answer.
how many 1000 yard bench rest matches have shot in and how many wins do you have in 1000 yd br ?

LOL....Answer a question with a question (diversion)? I've been shooting short and LR BR since the early 80's. So, can, or will, you answer the simple question? GEESH!

I limited my comment to 30's because that's what the OP was asking about. Maybe I should have said the WSM is the most "commonly" used 30 instead of "dominant" 30 with the top ranking shooters. I also realize I'm using 1000 yard competition to qualify the WSM at a mile.
If you read everything I said I specifically said not sure about the record part and was simply trying to state the WSM is a good option, sorry you took this personally.
The guy who just one the Berger SW (FT-R) who I know very well shoots a 300 WSM and a 284, not sure which he shot at this comp(I'll ask him) but I'd bet it was his blue WSM as he only has the 284 for the ranges that have band the magnums.
Do you or anyone else have a link to what cartridges were used to set the current records? I've found who shot them, where and what the record is but not what cartridge set them. May be enlightening for choosing cartridges for future builds.

Don't pay any attention to this ar10 guy, he gripes about everything , most of us don't even want him posting on our threads, I've had to report him before, so just ignore him.

There's a lot of good posts like yours on here.
We enjoy reading your posts
It's all about enjoying the Sport of Shooting

Last edited:
Took a ride out yesterday to scope out some more Long Range / ELR Shooting possibilities ... For those of us who live in the Pac .N.W. we have to wait for the snow to melt off and more favorable weather conditions...

IMG_20190425_152643946_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190425_152448603_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Now that the snow has melted off and it's getting warmer it's time for us to head out to set up some steel and try out some of our Long Range/ELR Reloads ...

IMG_20190423_160451820_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20190418_133407955.jpg

Last edited:
Well if it's got to be a 30 cal the 300 RUM would get my vote, mine really likes the 215 bergers at 800 but maybe there is better choices for the mile. In 28 caliber I would vote for the 28 nosler with the 195 berger at 3100, good luck and have fun, lots of options!

You were comparing the 300 win to a 30 Nosler. 3100 or very near it is doable with .225 reamer and better brass like ADG.
You can do it with Nosler brass but the primers fall out after 2-3 firings.
I've done it on 3-30 noslers with 25" barrels and accuracy was consistently. 5 m.o.a.
Dont believe me p.m. Alex Wheeler I bet he gives you the same results

Took a ride out yesterday to scope out some more Long Range / ELR Shooting possibilities ... For those of us who live in the Pac .N.W. we have to wait for the snow to melt off and more favorable weather conditions...

View attachment 132008

View attachment 132009

Nice bike! I know a few people with Victorys and they all really like them. I'm more into older iron, but may have to upgrade at some point.

Attachments

• my ride (2).jpg
    my ride (2).jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.