Scratching My Head

To me, it sounds like your parallax is likely set closer to 150 yards and you're setting up behind the rifle inconsistently so that your eye and head are slightly different each time. The close shots are impacting because it's so close, but at 100 the reticle, your eye, and the target are not in line and you're just missing over the top. At 150 yards your parallax is closer to being correct and you're impacting again. I could be wrong, but based on your info so far, they'd whet it seems like to me.

I will video next time and post it for the none believers both have a 20 moa base one is sitting on wheeler highs which the gun sits high above the bore the other is sitting on lows and is really close to the barrel

Like I said sir not trying to cause arguments but I will gladly record it for u
I just ran the numbers and being 1.5" high at 25 puts your dial roughly 4.2 moa down at 150 yards so it's possible you were just getting lucky. Or the rocks were larger than you thought.

Plugging in your numbers including actual scope to bore hieght and a ball park vel, 100yd zero, 5 yd increments in JBM will answer so many of these head scratchers.

Set the turret zero on the scope only after you have completely sighted in the scope. Then confirm one more time.

If you really were dead on at 150 without touching the turrets and your scope rings etc are all tight rifle action screws tight. You could have a defective scope. But I would give it another go at the range after looking at the jbm drop chart. It's not going to be off on target more than an inch or so at 100 yds.

If you were dead on at 150 then being 3/4" high at 50 could be correct. After all your shooting at rocks @150 not a target you can confirm precisely afterwards. The issue is the high at 25yd.

Just as example I plugged in 154 SST @ 2850fps (litz) 1.5" bore/scope height. I set zero at 150 yds.

25yds -0.50"
50yds +0.20"
100yds +0.70"
150yds 0.00

I then set jbm for 1.5" high @25 yds means a 460yd zero. Let's look at the drops from 25-150 again

25yds +1.5"
50 yds +4.3"
100yds +8.9"
150ydsI +12.3"

Based on these barring an issue with scope or gun that 25yd 1.5" could not have been accurate. The .75" high @50yds and on at 150yds are within a reasonable error and plausible. The issue is you should have been on paper at 100 unless it was only a 4" tall paper as 100yds is only +0.70".

The +1.5"@25yds would allow you to shoot over a standard 11" letter paper size. But there is no way you could have then been on at 150yds as you would have been +12.3"@150yds.

Last edited:
Like I said sir not trying to cause arguments but I will gladly record it for u
If you truly want help you will listen to what people are saying to you. The math doesn't add up. If you are 1.5" high at 25 yds you are roughly 4.5" high at 50 yds and you are saying you are only shooting .75" high. You are also saying you are on at 150. Calculations show roughly 12" high at 150 yds. You also said your 270 wsm was shooting 3 in one hole at 25 yds so you left it alone. I am not trying to be an *** just honest. It sounds like you need to spend more time at the range practicing and learning the basics of ballistics before you start shooting at animals in my opinion.