Scratching My Head

Could not Wild rose but I have some big targets order and taking a 6 foot tall cardboard by 4 foot to help me out more

Could not Wild rose but I have some big targets order and taking a 6 foot tall cardboard by 4 foot to help me out more
I think a lot of guys here are sincerely trying to help you out. I don't think bigger targets are the answer.
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you just want to zero the new scopes, then pick that distance. Without getting into max point blank range etc, just go with 100 yards. Boresight it, if you can't come close at 100 shoot at 50 yards with an idea of where the point of impact should be for your chosen zero. If that produces a decent group you know the mounts, rings and other mechanics that could fail are likely okay. Don't move on to other distances until you shoot an acceptable group.
As stated before if you do choose to shoot at 25 the point of impact should be low rising through it's trajectory before dropping.

1666742909469.png

Assume nothing is ok just because it was. Check everything.

A simple 24"x24" backer cardboard will capture all the shots. Spray white or use white cardboard. It has to capture the shots in a properly functioning mounted scope rifle combo. You can grab a peice at any big box store. Costco BJs HD Lowes etc. If you have a dead / dying tree tack to it.

There is not much elevation change in hp cartridges between 0-200+ yd when it's bracketed. Maybe 6". 3" over and under.

And he is so correct on that for sure, 1.5-3" is right on @ 100, I always set up my scopes to be 1 1/2" high @ 100.
I set mine all up for 350 because it's extremely rare to get a shot at anything closer in my part of the world at least they way I hunt.

If I don't have time to dial keeps me in a zone I can live with to about 600yds with everything other than the pop guns like the .204 and the .375's.

I set mine all up for 350 because it's extremely rare to get a shot at anything closer in my part of the world at least they way I hunt.

If I don't have time to dial keeps me in a zone I can live with to about 600yds with everything other than the pop guns like the .204 and the .375's.
Good one.... Pop guns? that lowly 204 pipsqueek popgun shoots flatter at 600 with budget/bulk 40 grain vmaxes, than a 6.5 PRC shooting 147 eldms. Texans, sheesh.....

Last edited:
Good one.... Pop guns? that lowly 204 pipsqueek popgun shoots flatter at 600 with budget/bulk 40 grain vmaxes, than a 6.5 PRC shooting 147 eldms. Texans, sheesh.....
At 600yds the .204 Ruger has the energy of a fly swatter. I have one of the first .204's built by CZ so it's only chambered for the 36-38gr bullets and has a 1:12tw so forget the higher BC 38-40gr pills.

Even at 300yds it's not even suitable as a cartridge for WT.

Great varmint/predator round though especially if you don't want to blow big holes in hides.

Last edited:
My "shooting houses" are dams, bushes, mesquite trees, and the occasional wood pile. I get bored fast in blinds.
Maybe you wouldn't get bored in one of mine you can see a long ways . I put that up on my ranch in West Tx 2 yrs ago it now has a stair case .

Attachments

• 565F0DD3-7BD2-4D3F-A67D-574D94C5C906.jpeg
    565F0DD3-7BD2-4D3F-A67D-574D94C5C906.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 59
You don't need to spend lots of money, go buy some of the rolls of that cardboard stuff they put down on new floors in new homes, it's heavier than target material and you can cut as much as you like then just put some sticky dots on it, or tape a target on it,
I use it for long range shooting and ladder testing

Recent Posts