Case Scarring (scratching)

mackgee

So I have a quick question, I took out my brand new 300 WSM GAP rifle to the range yesterday to break the barrel in. I was firing some cheap Federal ammunition and after about 17ish rounds I noticed that there were two places on the fired case where there were some heavy scratches on the it. I didn't think much of it until I started to examine the other fired cases and I noticed that the same heavy scratches were in the same places on all of them. You can actually see where the scratch turned on the case when you are closing the bolt. It leads me to believe that there may be two different burrs in the chamber. Is this something that I should be concerned with and will it affect accuracy for this rifle? I can post photos of the cases if you need me to. Thanks for any and all help!

Mac

Well Mack, in my experience, assuming that the scratches are along the body of the case, what you've noticed isn't all that unusual. A bit of careful polishing with emery cloth has done the clean up job for me in the past.
But, to be certain, I'd recommend finding someone with a good bore scope and have a look so you're sure of what you're dealing with.

If it is a Templar action and the scratches are up near the shoulder, it's more than likely the ejector spring is to heavy. Defiance had some stiff springs for awhile and what you are seeing is the sharp edges of the bolt raceway making the marks. Try firing a new piece of brass and while extracting put your finger on the case to keep it centered. If the scratches are gone then that is what it is. Clip a couple coils off and it's usually cured. I can't imagine gap would have burrs in their chambers.

If the scratches are lengthwise on the case, that's often caused by in line ejectors pushing the case crooked as it comes out and part of the receiver ring scratches it.

I took the in line ejector out of two push feed Win 70's to prevent that. Alse lets me pick out the empty case with my fingers instead of picking it up as it's on the ground getting dirty.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.