Scratching My Head

jbo829

Went to the range to zero in two different guns
1. Winchester model 70 270 wsm
2 Remington 700 .280 rem
Both had new scope so I started at 25 yards got them on paper shooting 1.5" high moved to 50 yards and was 3/4" in high went to 100 yards and could touch paper at all so I ranged some 4 in rocks at 150 yards and was hitting them dead center every shot let the guns sit for 45 minutes shoot paper at 100 and could hit paper what could be the cause

I knew I was high but why would I been dead one at 150
you shouldn't be😬. If you're 1.5 inches high at 25 you would be almost 12 inches high at 150.
At 50 you should have been about 4-5 inches high with the 1.5 at 25.

Didn't move the scope at all? Applying pressure on the barrel when shooting?
Rings, bases, and action screws tight?

Numbers don't make sense to me.
I get the name of the thread now😂

you shouldn't be😬. If you're 1.5 inches high at 25 you would be almost 12 inches high at 150.
At 50 you should have been about 4-5 inches high with the 1.5 at 25.

Didn't move the scope at all? Applying pressure on the barrel when shooting?
Rings, bases, and action screws tight?

Numbers don't make sense to me.
I get the name of the thread now😂
Get a tall target 4 ft cardboard , go back too a 100 yds and you will not be scratching your head anymore. All joking aside you are most likely way high at a 100 easily verified. Keep us posted

Does your scope have adjustable parallax? If so, you might not have it set right and then you're not perfectly set behind the rifle the same each time, and the reticle is effectively in a different spot and allowing for a huge shift in point of impact.

The scope is a vortex venom ffp with the adjust parallax the other one is a nikon the 280 my spotter said he was seeing I was shooting over at 100 and into the dirt behind but I was smacking rocks with it the 270 wsm I left alone because it was shooting 3 almost in the same hole at 25 and if I get a chance to hunt this season the woods I'll be in are only clear to 30 yards but I still have a month and half till season I'll get a bigger target and do my adjustments because I hate guns being off that much

I believe scope height/ mechanical offset and arc of trajectory are causing the confusion not the gear. What distance are you trying to set zero for? I suggest watching a quick youtube video for explanation.
For most zeros (100 yards and up) you should expect to be low at 25 (as others have stated)
For example, my rifle with a 250 zero equals 2.5 MOA low at 25 yards and .5 moa high at 50 yards. There are some great visuals and videos online showing trajectory of the bullet in relation to the straight line of barrel and scope.

The scope is a vortex venom ffp with the adjust parallax the other one is a nikon the 280 my spotter said he was seeing I was shooting over at 100 and into the dirt behind but I was smacking rocks with it the 270 wsm I left alone because it was shooting 3 almost in the same hole at 25 and if I get a chance to hunt this season the woods I'll be in are only clear to 30 yards but I still have a month and half till season I'll get a bigger target and do my adjustments because I hate guns being off that much
Please don't rely on what your zero is sight it in dead nuts at 100 yds . One other issue that can contribute too that much difference between 25 and 100 yds is ring height or how far the center of the objective is above the bore 1.5 pretty much the norm, give it some thought, you'll get it worked out .

I believe scope height/ mechanical offset and arc of trajectory are causing the confusion not the gear. What distance are you trying to set zero for? I suggest watching a quick youtube video for explanation.
For most zeros (100 yards and up) you should expect to be low at 25 (as others have stated)
For example, my rifle with a 250 zero equals 2.5 MOA low at 25 yards and .5 moa high at 50 yards. There are some great visuals and videos online showing trajectory of the bullet in relation to the straight line of barrel and scope.
I don't think he ever said what he was trying to zero for could be helpful 😂
I'm just little confused on his numbers. I can't seem to find a way that it's possible to be 1.5 inches high at 25 then 3/4 of an inch high at 50 yards then couldn't touch paper at 100 then was zeroed at 150 making hits on a 4 inch rock… numbers don't make sense to me.