Scratched my brand new GUN...

Bigeclipse

Hey all,
While sighting in my rifle this weekend, my rifle tipped over and got a little scretch on the barrel. Purely cosmetic, but it ****es me off!!! This will be a hunting rifle, so I am not to upset as It will surely get some more scratches, but I was worried about possible rust happening now that a small amount of the blueing is gone.I have a browning x-bolt. The scratch is really small, maybe 1mm long by 1mm wide. Is there something I should put on it to help to protect it, or should I just consitently wipe it downafter hunting and that will be fine. It does not seem like the scratch went all the way through to the metal, almost looks like the spot is more of a worn spot if you get what I mean.

Sounds like a good excuse to paint it camo. If your one of those folks that need to keep it shiny you could touch up it up with cold blue but I wouldn't sweat it if your expecting more scratches. Just hit it with oil before you put her away.

I think everyone wants theirs to be nice and shiny haha but having said that I know this will be the first scratch of many, I've just never really had a scratch on my blued finish before (mostly just on my stocks) so was more concerned about rust when I'm out there in bad weather.

The pistol racers (USPSA) use a bluing pen to re-blacken the front sight of their race pistols. I used one of these felt tip pens to blue scratches in my Winny before i had it coated with ceracoat.

Hope this helps.

I have used the spray Rem-Oil with Teflon on the bluing of my skeet shotgun for many years, the bluing scratches never went away but never amounted to anything either. I have found it to be a good product for certain applications. I let it dry on which it does in about a week or two in low humidity.

These are GUNS:

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/7834105092/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/7834105092/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.