new gun or add to my rem switch barrel?

Mxracer532

So after 2 surgeries I have decided its time to part with my race bike and use the $ for something to fill in the unfillable void.
so my thoughts were, do I buy/build a custom gun in .260 or another 6.5 cal? ( im wanting more of a long range setup and want to shoot 140gn VLD's.) Or do I buy another barrel and use my switch barrel remington I already have? The remington switch barrel is 22-250 & .243 cals. I only use the .243 as my Leupold Vx3 6.5-20x40 has a load matched turret. (95gn VLD's @3136fps) The smith work on the gun was done by Gordy Gritters and the trigger js set at 1.5lbs and breaks like glass. It has a hs precision stock, short action detachable box magazine and both barrels are heavy contours.
Also considering buyin a NF scope for my remington and getting a new barrel for it in one of the 6.5 cals. What do you guys think?

Add to your switch-barrel and chamber it for 6.5 SS (Sherman Short). Do a search for it here on the forum.

Or you could build a 6.5 Sherman which uses .270 Win brass to form for a long action.

Add to your switch-barrel and chamber it for 6.5 SS (Sherman Short). Do a search for it here on the forum.

Or you could build a 6.5 Sherman which uses .270 Win brass to form for a long action.

Problem with the 6.5 sherman is my switch barrel is a short action.
any idea of the approximate cost to add to the switch barrel would be after the smith work?

6.5 SS would work, but you'd have to have a short-action magnum bolt...

I haven't owned a 6.5 SS or a 6.5 Sherman...So I have no idea. I know for the 6.5 Sherman you use regular old .270 Win brass to fire-form it. I think Whidden makes the dies for it, and PTG makes the reamer.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.