Scope Lens Covers While Hunting

I use a scope coat 99% of the time. In bad weather I run a rifle cover too. The only place I like covers is in bush country where jump shooting may occur and a flip up cover may be better.

I didn't even know they had better quality lens covers. I'll check out the Tennebrex covers.
I agree with go all the way. Ténébreux are quite good while Butler Creek covers are poor quality - easily come off. I use Leupold's threaded flip up covers on my L scopes. High quality aluminum covers that won't go MIA.

I use them on all the scopes, all the time. No issues flipping them up in time to shoot. I figure scope glass is just as fragile (or even more so) than glasses and cleaning the junk off of them will damage the lens over the years. I tend to keep things for a long time, so the less times I have to clean the lens, the less chance I will scratch it. I have Butler Creek on most everything, no particular style, just whatever fits the scope the best. My biggest peeve is finding a scope cap that fits.

As a old old sheep hunter( now 80) I have used them ,from innertubes cut down , then came solid covers like that came with the old Redfield 6X scopes then to clear lens covers. you have to save your glass lens on your scope some how and that is the only way to do it. They are a must what ever type you use. Back in the days of the solid covers I had two instances that I had to shoot the rifle with the solid covers on one had to shoot two wolfs in 10 yards in Alaska just bang bang and another with a Russian grizzly at 15 yards on a full charge. he came to rest at my feet I never even saw him until he was just there.

I really like the Tennebrex covers supplied with the ATACR, and find them more durable then the Butler Creek covers. I have always used either Scope Cote style covers or attached covers, and do believe in using them. Mostly to keep frequently encountered rain/snow/dust from effecting sight picture clarity.

They are necessary where I hunt. I never got scope eye from them. Depending on the weather I open them on a deer stand.

Just invest in the good ones,
I'm trying Tennebrex on the Tract. We'll see.

I'm running Vortex ones on my main rifle. These are working out really well….like $40 ea, but rock solid.

I've used Butler Creeks….ok, but tended to pop open or get ripped off when opening….usually good enough though.

I used one of those scope coat things…..no protection and was a pain in the field. I think I had to practice with it more than the rifle. Just to be sure I got it off.

BTW, a person really needs to work these into their pre-shot routine and train with them. Most likely 50 yds and in you will need a smooth seamless technique from carry position, to firing to get one that steps out close.

They are necessary where I hunt. I never got scope eye from them. Depending on the weather I open them on a deer stand.
Whatever one uses, use something all the time to protect those lenses. Actually you are protecting the coatings on the lenses. The coatings separate the good scopes from the great scopes. Learn the manufacturer of your specific scope recommendations for cleaning those lenses. Improper cleaning technique can do as much damage as not using lens covers.

I ve got Alumina covers on some of my Leupolds. I have a lot of Butler Creek "stretchy" Bikini Covers and like them a lot when in the field around grit, moisture, etc. Yank them off in 2 seconds and ready to shoot. $7 a pair so if you leave a set on the ground in excitement no big deal !

All scope covers are seriously lacking. I've owned many different types and all of them have different problems. I've even written to various scope cover manufacturers years ago with recommendations but haven't seen any changes to what they already offer.

1- most covers you can't see through. This is my biggest complaint. This is important for those unplanned shots where a bear, deer, etc. suddenly appears and you need to take a very quick shot. Butler Creek Blizzard has a see-thru, but I hate the rubber attachment ring which causes the cover to fall off the scope if rubbed against anything like your clothes, etc. I have lost many while walking places. I'm convinced cover manufacturers would rather listen to their marketing "experts" than develop something useful for a hunter. Their marketeers have convinced them it's more important to place their logo in the center of the cover than to be able to see through it.

2- most don't secure well to the scope. Those that slide over the scope eventually stretch out, become loose and fall off usually at the most inopportune times. I like the Leupold caps and some others because they screw into the inside front objective so they do not increase the objectives diameter and touch the barrel, but you can't see through them.

3- I like the stretchy covers because they protect the entire scope, but they are not quick to remove as discussed above and you can't see through them.

4- most have tabs sticking out that get in the way of turning an adjustable objective (parallax) or zoom on some scopes. As you turn the scope, they hit the barrel, etc. preventing a complete turn. I like the covers on Swarovski spotting scopes with the opposing squeeze releases so you can remove the entire cap and put it in your pocket, but you can't see through them.

Too bad someone doesn't manufacture a scope cover that does ALL of the following: is see-thru, is threaded secure, threaded so doesn't increase the scope diameter, and doesn't have tabs that interfere with rotating the scope.

Last edited:
All scope covers are seriously lacking. I've owned many different types and all of them have different problems. I've even written to various scope cover manufacturers years ago with recommendations but haven't seen any changes to what they already offer.

1- most covers you can't see through. This is my biggest complaint. This is important for those unplanned shots where a bear, deer, etc. suddenly appears and you need to take a very quick shot. Butler Creek has a see-thru, but I hate the rubber attachment ring which causes the cover to fall off the scope if rubbed against anything like your clothes, etc. I have lost many while walking places. I'm convinced cover manufacturers would rather listen to their marketing "experts" than develop something useful for a hunter. Their marketeers have convinced them it's more important to place their logo in the center of the cover than to be able to see through it.

2- most don't secure well to the scope. Those that slide over the scope eventually stretch out, become loose and fall off usually at the most inopportune times. I like the Leupold caps and some others because they screw into the inside front objective so they do not increase the objectives diameter and touch the barrel, but you can't see through them.

3- I like the stretchy covers because they protect the entire scope, but they are not quick to remove as discussed above and you can't see through them.

4- most have tabs sticking out that get in the way of turning an adjustable objective (parallax) or zoom on some scopes. As you turn the scope, they hit the barrel, etc. preventing a complete turn. I like the covers on Swarovski spotting scopes with the opposing squeeze releases so you can remove the entire cap and put it in your pocket, but you can't see through them.

Too bad someone doesn't manufacture a scope cover that does ALL of the following: is see-thru, is secure, doesn't increase the scope diameter, and doesn't have tabs that interfere with rotating the scope.
You've just explained your formula for the perfect scope cover, so build it, and let the market place decide, That's how existing products get rooted out of th mrket, replaed by better offerings, with the profits to the entrepreneur....the American way..

You've just explained your formula for the perfect scope cover, so build it, and let the market place decide, That's how existing products get rooted out of th mrket, replaed by better offerings, with the profits to the entrepreneur....the American way..
I wish it was that easy.