Scope Lens Covers While Hunting

Colorado Luckydog

I've been back and forth on this for years. I have hunted with and without. Probably 10 years ago, I got scope eyed when I had Bull Fever! I haven't used them since. I just got a New/Used scope today and it came with nice lens covers and I'm rethinking it again. (Because that's what I do) Now that I have bought 4 nice scopes, I thought I'd get other hunters thoughts on hunting with or without them.

Last edited:
I always say I'm going to use them snd then take them off a soon S I put them on. Only scope scar is on bridge of my nose. First elk in a rain storm and a cover would not have helped at all. My latest is I want to try the clear blizzard model. Just hard to spend the money for the 10th time.

I can't imagine NOT hunting with them. Scope objectives on a slung rifle are like a magnet for snow falling off trees. And snow and rain storms, dust, dirt etc. It becomes second nature to pop them open as you shoulder the rifle after a few reps. Not sure how the increase the chance of getting scoped?

Just invest in the good ones, like tennebrex, and they are worth it. The crap that most manufacturers send out with a scope and the butler creek caps don't hold up to one long hard hike in rough terrain.

I know this is a controversial opinion and I mean no disrespect to those who use them, but I think Tennebrex are hot garbage (at least the tactical tough ones I tried). They are way too expensive for what they are, and the rubber cap itself is too soft. Because it is soft, it needs a huge lip on the objective lens cover in order to open which can come in contact with your barrel preventing closure, so you have to orient it sideways. I have also had the rubber cap turn on the teeth of the metal adapter, which also chews up the rubber on the inside of the cap. Last time I was out hunting with them, the cap portion for my ocular lens was just gone, and all that was left was the adapter.

I traditionally use Aadmount, but now that I started buying the MKM's I think they are better and MKM makes them and ships them faster. I just wish they had that push lever to open the ocular lens cap like Aadmount does.

I've got Butler Creek on all my hunting rifles. Keeps the dust and mud off the lenses when running around the ranch here in Texas, and the snow and rain off when I hunt up north. Nothing worse than having a blurry image, or worse at the most inopportune time.

Cheap, simple, and effective. I just instinctively pop both covers when I shoulder a weapon.

I know this is a controversial opinion and I mean no disrespect to those who use them, but I think Tennebrex are hot garbage (at least the tactical tough ones I tried). They are way too expensive for what they are, and the rubber cap itself is too soft. Because it is soft, it needs a huge lip on the objective lens cover in order to open which can come in contact with your barrel preventing closure, so you have to orient it sideways. I have also had the rubber cap turn on the teeth of the metal adapter, which also chews up the rubber on the inside of the cap. Last time I was out hunting with them, the cap portion for my ocular lens was just gone, and all that was left was the adapter.

I traditionally use Aadmount, but now that I started buying the MKM's I think they are better and MKM makes them and ships them faster. I just wish they had that push lever to open the ocular lens cap like Aadmount does.
I'm with you on liking Aadmount and MKM better, Aadmount are my favorite but the push button won't always clear the bolt being a lefty. MKM are quality caps for sure, I have started going that direction lately. I do like tennebrex for the Nightforce's with rotating oculars because they are the only caps that work that I have found.

I run a Butler Creek on the objective lens and leave the ocular lens uncovered but I'll have it with me. If I'm packing the gun in my pack (Vorn) the muzzle is up and the scope is well protected, if I'm carrying and it's raining/snowing I'll put the other on. My partner has the alumina's on a VX6 and they are a good looking cover.