Rear shooting rest while hunting

Just use a light weight squeez bag. Use my support hand for toe support and squeeze or relax the bag to get to where I need to be

Wow - $125 seems criminal for something like that. There has to be a cheap chinese knockoff version of that somewhere
Believe it or not that is the knockoff! The original version of that (and is still for sale) only cost $42. I think the guy who makes it did not patent it or the patent expired and these guys decided to make a boutique version for the more dollars has to be better custom guys. Crazy!
I have had one about 7 years.

I use a rock, stump or convenient tree. Have used my back pack and a truck hood too. If you cannot hold steady enough, better quit hunting and become a couch potato. I'm 70 and still steady.
Haha. Great "grumpy old codger" useless comment. Proving you can be old and still be clueless. Can you post a video of how you use your backpack as a rear rest for a tall bipod? Teach us "youngsters" something. And my hat is off to you, Sidecarflip, for humping a truck hood up and down mountains for days so you can shoot your sheep, goat or elk off of it when the moment of truth comes. Interesting technique. Packing out elk hindquarters for you must be a walk in the park.

I'm far from a couch potato, LOL. I've shot sheep and goats out to 500 yards off of my backpack. I'm going to Tajikistan in November after Marco Polo sheep and an Ibex and I know shots there can be quite long. I'm always trying to improve my shooting skills and extend my effective range. Thanks for the comments.
I'd honestly ask your guide if you can bring a truck hood with you on that hunt. Some old-timer told me it works...

Last edited:
Haha. Great "grumpy old codger" useless comment.
So true! Sidecar is a grumpy old codger sometimes. He has also been a steady contributor to this forum for about 8 years. We all missed his comments on this forum, for probably over a year recently, as he was busy beating back some cancer.
Anyways he can be fun when you get him worked up. Definitely an accomplished old handloader.

The Rugged Ridge rear support is awesome. Lightweight and easy to deploy. Does not damage your stock either. I have been using it for two years now and no malfunctions.
http://www.ruggedridgeoutdoorgear.com/erss/
I like the looks of that rest, the problem I have with a Bipod Buddy is the twist lock feature sometimes slips under recoil.

I went to Home Depot got there canvas zip bags I think you get 3-4 for about 6 dollars then got some scent free cat litter filled the bags
Works awesome you ended up with 4 bags for under 20 dollars

Thanks for sending this idea along. I checked them out, the bags are made by "Dickies", they look like they are strong and can be used for a number of small accessories that I put in a day pack.

I made one like the Wiebad fortune cookie and some about the size of a coke can out of some old ACU's and some plastic pellets from Jo-Anns. 8 lbs of the pellets were $16.

Here's the cookie one. Also, Wiebad makes some ultralight versions that work great.

I could not get the pics to upload. I will try again later. But, not hard at all to do.

Here we go.
CameraZOOM-20190311173444617.jpg

Attachments

• CameraZOOM-20190311173444617.jpg
    CameraZOOM-20190311173444617.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 160
You can put it on a limb, point of a rock or turn it upside down and rest you rifle in it. It can also be used as a rear bag. The open v grabs onto things essentially.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.